Men’s golf finishes 3rd in Trinity Fall Shoot-Out

The fall season came to a close for men’s golf with a third place finish at the Trinity Fall Shoot-Out on Oct. 12. Trinity took the lead after the first day with an impressive 309 team total, one stroke ahead of second place Middlebury and seven strokes ahead of Williams’ 316. The second day had a change of scene as the course switched from TPC River Highlands to Shuttle Meadow Country Club, the site of last year’s NESCAC Championship, which the Ephs won to secure their NCAA bid. Though the Ephs’ second day effort was an improvement on the first, the team remained in third place.

Trinity and Middlebury had matching 604 team scores to tie for the tournament title, with Middlebury winning the tiebreaker by virtue of a lower fifth score on the second day. Williams posted a team score of 621 (316, 305), improving by 11 strokes between the first and second day of the tournament.

“We played quite well on the final day of the event at Shuttle Meadow Golf Club where we won the NESCAC Championship last spring,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. “We struggled as a team at TPC River Highland on the first day, but nobody had played the course before and we quite frankly were not too comfortable.”

Jack Killea ’11 carded an impressive two-day total of 150 (76-74), followed by co-captain Matt Felser ’09 with a 151 (76, 75). Jake Wagner ‘11 posted a 159 (81, 78), with co-captain Tyler Zara ’08 close behind with a 161 (83-78). Drew Murray ’11 rounded at the weekend’s scores with a 166 (83-83).

Though the Trinity Fall Shoot-Out brought an end to the Ephs fall season, the team is looking forward to an exciting spring trip. “The Trinity Shoot-Out was pretty indicative of the entire fall,” Killea said. “We clearly have some ground to cover in the offseason if we want to compete with Trinity and Middlebury for a NESCAC title in the spring. Nevertheless, we have a solid group of kids and I think our consistency will right itself with a little bit of commitment and discipline.”