Field hockey edges Colby, 2-1, after loss to Tufts

Following a 3-0 defeat of Wesleyan (2-9, 0-7 in the NESCAC) last week, field hockey (6-5, 3-4) played two away games this weekend, brushing off a tough 3-1 loss to Tufts (11-0, 7-0) on Saturday to defeat Colby, 2-1, the next day.

In Sunday’s game against Colby, Williams came out strong with a goal by Anne de Saint Phalle ’10 assisted by co-captain Meighan McGowan ’09. After a long bus-ride from Eastern Massachusetts to Maine following a tough loss at Tufts, it could have ended badly, and it looked like it might when Colby’s Mary Claire Snedicker snuck one past goaltender Katrina Tulla ’11 to tie the game minutes later.

But between Meera Sivalingham ’12 and de Saint Phalle, the women would not have two losses in a weekend. Sivalingham scored off an assist from de Saint Phalle at the 52:02 mark to secure a win for Williams.
Tulla had five saves, the same number as Colby’s Liz Fontaine. Williams had nine shots to Colby’s eight, while Colby edged Williams on penalty corners 13-8.

“The Colby game was really a must-win situation for us,” McGowan said. “It was great to finally get a come-from-behind win [it was the team’s first of the season], [and it] will definitely help us in future games.”

The Ephs knew they had a challenge ahead of them heading into Saturday’s showdown with the undefeated Jumbos, ranked fifth in the country. The Jumbos’ attack had scored 48 goals on the season heading into the game, and the Ephs knew they would have to work hard to stop them.

And work hard they did. Unfortunately, Tufts was able to put two past Williams’ keeper Tulla (14 game saves) in the first half, with Margi Sholtes scoring at 15:08 and Tamara Brown scoring at 7:35.

The second half turned out a little better for the Ephs – they received their only three penalty corners of the game in the second, and put one into the net, with Amy Siedlecki ’10 scoring with 5:52 remaining in the half. However, the Jumbos’ Amanda Russo had already put a third score on the board for Tufts at 12:08, and the women could not overcome the large deficit.

The Ephs ended the day with seven shots to Tufts’ 28 and three penalty corners to Tufts’ 16.

“We were very excited for our two games this weekend, as both Colby and Tufts are strong teams,” said McGowan. “Our game against Tufts was a good test for us.” Although going down 2-0 was difficult, the team “picked up [its] intensity and communication in the second half,” McGowan said.

McGowan is thinking positive. “In terms of the NESCAC tournament, this win against Colby puts us in a good place – but that being said, we need to win our last three regular season games to end on a high note and go into the tournament with confidence,” she said. “We’re really looking forward to our game versus Union on Wednesday and hope to continue to improve with each game.”

The team plays Union today at home before heading to Amherst this weekend.