Women’s golf ends season

Women’s golf completed the traveling portion of its season last weekend at the Middlebury Invitational played on the College’s Ralph Myhre Golf Course. The women once again faced rivals Amherst and Middlebury, and Middlebury used its home course advantage to take home the team title. Middlebury’s two-day score of 648 fell far ahead of Amherst’s second-place finish of 667. The Ephs ended the weekend in fifth position with a 683.

The women teed off on Saturday afternoon in great weather conditions. However, the course was especially tricky because of the amount of rain that Middlebury collected throughout the week. “The course played extra long because there was no roll in the fairway,” Head Coach Kris Herman said. “Also, the greens were slick; there were many instances when our players hit the green but their balls did not hold, especially on a number of holes where the pin was positioned on a false front.”

Melissa Barton ’09 and Anne O’Leary ’10 led the team on day one, each carding a score of 85. Mary Gelber ’10 and first-year Kristen Tubbs ’12 finished with 86 and 89, respectively. Kristin Nottebohm ’10, who had just made a recovery from a minor back injury, also contributed there, and the team brought in first-year Grace Gordon ’12 as an individual to play in her first collegiate tournament. Despite the breadth of team representation, the Ephs were disappointed after their first round.

“For the past few weeks we’ve been trying to play good consistent golf and it just doesn’t seem to be happening,” O’Leary said. “It’s very frustrating to go out on the course and doubt yourself.”

On Sunday, the team faced a challenge when O’Leary had to sit out due to illness. Even so, the women stepped up their games and improved on their first round score of 345 to post a 338. Gelber led the charge by posting an 80 on the day, followed by Barton and Tubbs with 85s and Nottebohm with an 88. Gelber’s two-round total placed her tied for eighth in a field of 40 players while Barton finished just outside the top-10.

The women will finish out their fall season this weekend at their home invitational to be played at Taconic Golf Club this weekend. Tee times begin at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.