UVM stings the White Dawgs

Last Saturday the Women’s Williams Rugby Football Club (WWRFC) started its day at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. as the squad boarded a bright yellow school bus that would deliver them to the Northern reaches of Vermont. While the rolling hills were beautifully blanketed in a mosaic of foliage, most of the team missed the scene as they were either napping or mentally preparing for the game.

However, the White Dawgs arrived at the home of the Catamounts excited and invigorated by the slight chill in the air. The game started with UVM kicking off to Williams and from the beginning the ball seemed magnetically attracted to the Williams half. After threatening for 30 minutes, UVM finally broke through the Williams defenses and put the first score on the board. A
high-flying restart kick by Williams proved too hard to handle for the UVM squad, and they committed a knock-on deep in their territory. The Williams pack rumbled down, secured their scrum, and Hannah Rosenthal ’10 scooted around the weak side to triumphantly plant the ball in the try-zone. A missed conversion left the team still trailing 7-5 at half time.

The second half started and a new game began. This time, the ball stayed put in the UVM half. Early in the half, Rosenthal again snaked her way through the Catamounts and put Williams on top 10-7. The Ephs continued to knock on the door following up the score with impressive runs near the try-zone by Katie Zipps ’11 and Morgan Phillip-Spotts ’09. There was also a holdup try by Jesse Herzer ’11 and a bobbled try that would have completed a hat trick for Rosenthal.

Despite the flurry of activity surrounding the UVM try-zone, it was not to be Williams’ day. Near the end of the half UVM drove the ball down and managed to capitalize on their only opportunity to score. While Williams played hard and created many opportunities to score, they were unable to finish and ended the match on the wrong side of a 12-10 score.

The team aims to avenge this defeat next week. The WWRFC take on WPI at home on Saturday at 11 a.m.