Union and Trinity fall to perfect women’s soccer

Women’s soccer (8-0, 4-0 in the NESCAC) enjoyed another successful weekend at home, extending its winning-streak to eight by clinching back-to-back wins against Trinity and Union.

Facing non-conference opponent Union at Cole Field on Sunday, the Ephs found themselves at an early deficit. Just three minutes into the game, Union midfielder Allison Cuozzo scored an unassisted goal, putting the Dutchwomen ahead 1-0. This lead, however, was short-lived.

Time and time again, the Ephs have proven their ability to come back from behind, and Sunday’s game was no exception. Just four minutes after Union’s initial goal, Williams forward Gabrielle Woodson ’09 scored off an assist by Brianna Wolfson ’10. Woodson and Wolfson continued to dominate the field throughout the first half, with Woodson repeatedly capitalizing on Wolfson’s assists, scoring in the 18th and 46th minute.

Coming back from halftime with a 3-1 lead, the Ephs were just as hungry. Nailing her fourth goal of the game and seventh of the season, Woodson took advantage of an assist by Brett Eisenhart ’12 in the 64th minute, putting the Ephs ahead 4-1. Just three minutes later, Kara Duggan ’11 scored off an assist by Sara Wild ’11, establishing the final tally of 5-1.

The numbers say it all when it comes down to which team went after the win with a vengeance – Williams outshot Union in both halves, 11-6 and 10-5, respectively. The ball stayed in the Dutchwomen’s territory far longer than in the Ephs’, with keeper Lauren Sinnenberg ’10 only making one save in the first half as opposed to Union’s six.

Saturday’s conference match against Trinity was strikingly similar to the Union game. The Ephs fell behind 1-0 only seven minutes into the first half, but Woodson tied up the score off an assist by Wolfson in the 21st minute. Annelise Snyder ’11, assisted by Tyler Rainer ’11, put Williams ahead in the 28th minute, establishing a halftime score of 2-1. The Bantams fought back, scoring in the 57th minute to re-tie the game at 2-2.

“Trinity is the best last-place team I’ve ever seen,” said Head Coach Michelyne Pinard of the Bantams, who currently are tied for last in the NESCAC standings with a record of 0-3-0. “They have so many weapons and are really solid through the middle of the field.”

Fortunately, the Ephs were a strong match for these weapons. Sarah Walmsley ’10 came through in the 71st minute, putting Williams ahead 3-2, and Wild found net in the 81st minute, clinching the 4-2 final score.

Keepers Sinnenberg and Julia Schreiber ’11 split time in the goal in both games, producing a combined six saves on the weekend.

The Ephs once again took double the shots of their opponents, outshooting Trinity 18-9 throughout the game.

“I was very pleased with how composed we stayed after getting scored on first both days,” said Pinard. “I think we are a better team after this weekend. We have proven that we can play two very tough back-to-back games and that we are an incredibly resilient team.”

The resilience of her team isn’t the only thing Pinard has to be proud of. Due to her all-star performances in both the Trinity and Union matches, Woodson earned official NESCAC honors as Player of the Week and currently leads the NESCAC in goals scored with seven.

The Ephs will face Wesleyan (5-1-1, 2-1-1), currently fourth in the NESCAC standings.