Trinity shuts out field hockey, 2-0

It was another up and down week for field hockey (4-4, 1-2 in the NESCAC), as the women went 1-1, losing 2-0 on Saturday to undefeated Trinity (8-0, 4-0 in the NESCAC) after they beat Springfield on Wednesday.

Saturday’s game against top-seeded Trinity proved a well-fought battle, despite Williams’ inability to notch a win. Trinity’s Robyn Williams scored the first goal in the 18th minute of play, but the Ephs held strong and kept the Bantams to just one goal in the half.

The second goal came in the second half of the game, scored by Robyn Williams again, this time in the 64th minute. Trinity posted four shots on goal to Williams’ three. Overall, Trinity and Williams had three and four penalty corners, respectively. The Ephs pulled five saves over the Bantams’ three.

Given their loss to Trinity last year, the Ephs knew it would be a tough matchup. “[It] was a good test to see how far we’ve come,” said co-captain Meighan McGowan ’09.

The team was also hurting from the injury of McGowan, a four year starter, co-captain and All-American who was unable to play. “Our game against Trinity was a well-played loss, but I still feel we could have walked away with a ‘W’ if we were a little hungrier in front of the net,” Head Coach Alix Rorke said. “[McGowan] has been absent from these three contests due to an injury she sustained in the Bowdoin game. She is such a playmaker and an integral part of our offense, and her absence on the field has been noticeable. I think with her return and our continual commitment to improvement we will come together as a team and attempt to dominate in the rest of our games.”

Field hockey fared better last Wednesday against Springfield, winning 3-1. The game was a test for the team, entering the game off of a loss to Conn. College the previous Saturday. “We were two different teams,” co-captain Sarah Burleigh ’09 said. “On Wednesday, we were running and being aggressive, which we weren’t doing on Saturday. Wednesday’s game felt really good. It was like night and day.”

The Ephs played a dominant game from the beginning yet were unable to notch a goal until there were 14 minutes left in the first half. Anne de Saint Phalle ’10, assisted by Jess Overlander ’09, netted the goal. The Ephs did not let up, and scored again 10 minutes later, with Karyn Moss ’12, assisted by Lucy Rollins ’12, extending the Ephs’ lead to 2-0.

A Jillian Urtz goal, assisted by Meg Bradley, put Springfield on the board in the second half. But Williams responded, with Julia Nawrocki ’09 scoring the final goal of the game less than a minute later. Whitney Thayer ’10 picked up an assist on the play.
Despite the win the final stats showed that Williams posted nine shots on goal to Springfield’s 11.

“Wednesday’s game showed a lot of improvement,” Burleigh said. “We were finally able to put everything together. It was a full game and we really came into our own.”

The team’s next game will be Saturday against Wesleyan.