Leading Skidmore defeats Williams by 20 strokes

Men’s golf battled through tough conditions to secure a fourth-place finish at this weekend’s two-day Hamilton Invitational. In cold and windy weather, the men posted a 316 team total to tie for sixth place after day one, 20 strokes behind leading Skidmore’s 296.

Motivated by the Thoroughbred’s impressive first-day effort, the Ephs knocked 12 strokes off their score, carding five rounds in the 70s for a solid second-day total of 304.
Out of a field consisting of 15 teams, only Skidmore (585), Salem State (613) and Middlebury (617) beat out Williams (614) in the final score count.

“The tournament was kind of a microcosm of how we have played all fall,” Galen Jackson ’09 said. “We have a ton of talent but haven’t been able to put it all together consistently as a team. Fortunately, all five of us shot in the 70s on Sunday. Hopefully that can be a building black for the rest of our season.”

The tournament was split between two courses, with the first round held at Yahnundasis Golf Club in Hartford, N.Y. and the second at the more familiar Skenandoa Club, the site of last year’s NESCAC Tournament.

“[Our optimism] on day two left us no choice but to get out of our own way and play better golf,” Jake Wagner ’11 said. “We look forward to carrying the same level of intensity into next weekend.”

Drew Murray ’11 carded the team’s best two-day total of 152 (75, 77). Wagner followed two strokes behind, dropping six strokes from day one to day two for a solid 154 (80, 74). Siwol Chang ’12 continued his season’s strong performance with a 157 (79, 78). Jackson ’09 proved to be a valuable asset to this weekend’s squad, posting a 158 (82, 76) and Bob Camp ’11 rounded out the team’s scores with a solid count of 160 (83, 77).

“We were very pleased with the performance of our players this weekend,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. “We got some different players some valuable tournament experience without losing any of our ability to shoot low numbers. It is a compliment to the quality of our players and the way they compete and support each other.”

The Ephs will conclude their fall season with this weekend’s Trinity Invitational, to be held at the TPC River Highlands on Saturday and then at the Shuttle Meadow Golf Club on Sunday.

Spring competition is right around the corner for the determined team. In the spring, the men will open up their seasonal play at the Palamountain Invitational, beginning on April 12, hopefully making a dominant showing.