One in 2000

At the ghastly hour of 10 a.m. on a Sunday, I made the arduous climb from my room in Morgan basement to the third floor. Having forgotten Margot’s room number, I wandered from one side of the building to the other, inspecting the names on the doors. I found her room and knocked. She opened the door, smiling and apologizing for the mess. The mess was a blanket folded on her chair. She was bubbly. I was hung over.

So, you live in Morgan. We’re practically sisters.

Yes we are!

You’re a singer/actress, what’s that like? On average, how many hours a day do you spend in the ’62 Center?

Well this semester I haven’t spent any time there, which is unfortunate because I love theater. But when I’m doing a show it’s kind of laid back – two or three hours a day – if that. Then when you get to tech week, lights and sounds are put together with the acting and you could be there for 24 hours straight. It’s a wonderful feeling as well as a terribly exhausting experience.

The musical last year was Sweeney Todd. Do you often get recognized around campus as “meat pie girl?”

Actually I don’t. Twice this week I was introduced to someone and we’d been talking, and the person I was with had to tell the person we’d just met “oh yeah, this is Margot, she was in Sweeney Todd.” They actually had to explain which character I was before the person actually knew who I was. Then of course there are the random people in my classes who I introduce myself to and they go “Oh, I know who you are. You’re that crazy girl in Sweeney Todd.”

Do you ever get tired of singing?

Never. There isn’t a moment where I don’t want to sing.

Do you think other people ever get tired of you singing?

Oh – they often do. But I think they accept it, and I definitely appreciate my friends for putting up with that aspect of me. I mean I think it’s really annoying when I’m in a conversation and any word that is said can, and will, be related to a show tune.

“Life’s candy and the sun’s a ball of butter” what exactly does that mean and apply it to your everyday life.

Well it’s from a show that I identify with that’s called Funny Girl, with Barbara Streisand. It’s actually the show that made her, which is why it’s so important to me. It doesn’t really mean that much in the physical sense, but it’s such a beautiful analogy, I think. Life’s candy: what could be sweeter? And the sun’s a ball of butter, you know it’s melting, and it emanates, and it’s everywhere. It alludes to happiness everywhere. It’s the joy that I’d like to have in my life on a constant basis imparted to everyone.

Under favorite books, you name several books, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Coyote Moon, etc. what stands out to me is Poe. Poe is actually an author.

Poe is an author. I am actually very ridiculous with my Facebook, which is kind of embarrassing. There’s this weird appreciation I have for Poe’s work. I can’t read his work without being in the presence of other people because it’s absolutely terrifying to me. I really like Annabel Lee, which is about necrophilia. I found that out in the seventh grade, when I first read that poem. The fascination with it is kind of this understanding that expanded, and now I can talk about necrophilia freely.

I don’t know what to say to that.

I don’t either.

[I move on as quickly as possible]

So your work history says you worked in Mission Dining Hall. Gimme your statistics for when you worked as a dish room employee. You know, your dishes washed/minute.

I was pretty terrible at it, actually. I wasn’t fast enough for the machine that moves things through. It kept going and I was still holding a plate from a rack six miles away. Plus the floor was slippery and I’d kind of be doing a split as I would be trying to throw things back and forth. But the people in there were very nice, and it was a fun environment and they occasionally let me sing as well.

I see you also worked at Planet Hollywood and Kodak. The former no longer exists in several locations, and the latter is a shell of what it once was. Do you blame yourself for the downfalls of these companies?

Not even a little bit! Kodak at Planet Hollywood is basically people coming into the restaurant and having photographs taken of them and being told that they need to buy seven photos for $25, which is a complete scam. I was much more productive as a hostess at Planet Hollywood. There I was running around and had crazy people to deal with and that experience was hysterical because there are SO many tourists. But I definitely don’t blame myself for that decline at all.

You do an activity called ‘voice lessons.’ Do you really need to take lessons on how to talk at age 20?

No, voice lessons are like singing and stuff. I take lessons with Keith Kibbler, an amazing voice coach here. He helps me with my character work and separates the crazy acting stuff from the technique in my singing. He tried to merge them and make my voice sound good in addition to the nutso, ridiculousness that I’m portraying on stage.

I see David gave you a banana as a gift on Facebook.

David did give me a banana on Facebook.

Cool.

[We both nod and avoid eye contact]

I see you’re friends with Andrew Goldston [’09]. Who is Andrew Goldston?

I actually just met him this year. Who is Andrew Goldston? [pauses, unsure of how to describe Andrew Goldston]. He’s a nice guy who happens to live in Currier, which is where a lot of my best guy friends live. I almost lived there too. Even though we are Morgan sisters. [I blush] I spend a lot of time in Currier and he’s just a part of this group, and he’s a nice guy! I just don’t know him all that well.

Is he in any way affiliated with Robert Kalb, whom you also just recently friended?

I’m actually not aware if he is.

[We both nod and avoid eye contact again.]