Women’s golf takes third at Wellesley

Women’s golf traveled east last weekend for the Wellesley Invitational, a two-day event that became a one-day Sunday tournament due to the heavy rains that blanketed the area. The Ephs played in a field of eight teams at the Nehoiden Golf Course on the Wellesley campus, which is only a nine-hole course. The small course forced the women to play around twice to count for one round. Melissa Barton ’09, Anne O’Leary ’10, Mary Gelber ’10, Aimee Weber ’11 and Kristen Tubbs ’12 represented the squad. At Sunday’s end the women tied for third with Vassar with a team total of 348, following first-place Middlebury (335) and runner-up, Amherst (340).

The women began Sunday’s round in the rain which continued throughout the day, but despite the conditions, the team was ready to put on its game face and challenge the competition. Unfortunately, the day’s outcome was not what the Ephs were looking to achieve. Overall the rainy conditions inflated the scores, with only three individuals from the field shooting in the 70s. The Ephs were especially concerned with how they placed in the rankings, feeling that they played beneath their potential. “We have yet to come out of a weekend feeling like we put together four good scores,” O’Leary said.

Leading the Ephs for the weekend was first-year Tubbs carding an 83, followed by Barton with an 86. Gelber and O’Leary contributed with an 89 and 90, respectively. In the field of 40 players, Tubbs finished eighth individually. Head Coach Kris Herman and the team were excited to see Tubbs making such an impact in her third collegiate event.

The individual medalist of the event was from Vassar with a score of 77.

This weekend the team will travel to Middlebury for a two-day invitational. Before then, the women plan to change some of their practice habits to work towards a better finish.

“With two tournaments left in the season, including our home invitational, we would like take home some hardware at each event,” said Tubbs.