Undefeated Norwich drops women’s rugby, 19-7

This week’s WWRFC match was a clash of the undefeated; Williams was pumped after last week’s 7-0 win over rival Amherst, and Norwich was flying high after an 88-0 thrashing of WPI. The White Dawgs, suffering from some key injuries, came into the game against Norwich a little uncertain but ready to give it their all. However, a mental boost provided by a team-wide viewing of the recently released rugby movie “Forever Strong” gave the team a shot of adrenaline and not even the overcast skies could bring down the women’s spirits.

After kickoff, the play was predominately in Williams’ half. While Norwich attempted to break through the line, the WWRFC held steady, buoyed by clutch kicks from Steph Reist ’09.

Also, key tackles on the sideline by Ya-Wen Lu ’09 kept the strong Norwich backs from the try-zone. However the continued assault on the line proved too strong for Williams and the Norwich backs broke through multiple times at the end of the half. When the half whistle blew, the score was 19-0.

Although they were down, Williams came back ready to play a solid second half. The White Dawgs dominated play from the whistle as Jax Richardson ’10 dragged a pile of Norwich scrummies over the line to touch down the ball. Maddie Jones ’09 converted the try, bringing the score up to 19-7.

While Williams showed grit, the women could not avenge the halftime score. The Norwich pack turned out to be no match for the Williams forwards; however, the White Dawgs could not manage to break through their defenses. Norwich, expecting an easy match, was continually frustrated by solid tackles by rookie fullback Clair Embry ’11.

The game ended with Williams on the losing side of the 19-7 match. However, this game was a good showing against the reigning regional champions, and the squad is now primed to face its foes from the north, UVM, next Saturday.