Goodrich coffeebar to reopen

After a 15 month hiatus, Goodrich coffee bar is scheduled to reopen this Monday.

In the past few weeks, Campus Life has been scrambling to hire student managers for the coffee bar, something they could do only after the building was granted a certificate of occupancy. Jessica Gulley, Assistant Director of Student Life and advisor for the coffee bar, and Emanuel Yekutiel ’11, whom Gulley picked to help with the hiring process because of his “passion for the community,” worked together to hire three student managers from eight applications. Emily Fowler-Cornfeld ’09 and Cat Vielma ’09 will serve as the supply and finance managers while Leah Lansdowne ’11 will be personnel manager. From 42 applicants, Lansdowne has chosen 25 to run the coffee bar.

According to Lansdowne, the coffee bar will be run in much the same way it was before it closed in May 2007. It will be open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m., and on Sunday for just the evening hours.

The coffee bar managers are still finalizing the menu, but expect many of their offerings – including seasonal favorites like eggnog and apple cider – to remain the same. The new managers also plan to start offering new products like Arizona Iced Tea, San Pellegrino and drinkable yogurt.
Stressbusters will return to Goodrich on Wednesday evenings from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., and will offer students an array of hot beverages at the coffee bar paid for by ACE.

Reconnecting Goodrich to Campus

In addition to opening the coffee bar, George Carstocea, student manager of Goodrich is trying to figure out how to make the best use of the building in light of Paresky’s opening.

“The big issues now are just getting it rolling because it used to be the most used space on campus,” Carstocea said. He has been working with Security to figure out how to route attendants of Goodrich parties to get alcohol bracelets. There are a few other remaining minor adjustments to make, like solving sound system and projector issues.

A student centers management team – an entity that existed in the past – is also in the works. The team will review policies and oversee daily operations in Goodrich and Paresky. As to the relationship between the two student centers, Carstocea believes each will serve its own purpose. “Goodrich is a more intimate space than Paresky,” he said. “The stage is also a big draw, and the sound is a lot better in there.”

But Carstocea has been pleased with the general campus attitude towards Goodrich’s reopening. Students are already studying there, and turnout will most likely increase when the coffee bar opens, he said.

Goodrich already has a full lineup of events, including performances of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) and Lipbone Redding, a famous jazz musician.