Women’s golf finishes 5th

Women’s golf traveled to the Orchards Golf Club at Mt. Holyoke College last weekend for a two-day invitational. The women notched a fifth place finish in a field of 13 squads, with a team total of 669. The team ended the weekend frustrated, as Amherst took home the title with a 657, followed by Mt. Holyoke (663) and the University of Hartford (664). “We have yet to achieve consistency among our players and as a team,” Head Coach Kris Herman said.

The Orchards Golf Club, playing as a 5880 yard par 72, is always a challenging course. After Day 1, the Ephs were ranked fourth, ahead of St. Lawrence University by two strokes and behind Mt. Holyoke and Hartford by nine. Melissa Barton ’09 and Mary Gelber ’10 led the Ephs, scoring an 80 and 82 respectively. The Ephs had high ambitions for the final day.

“We were looking to Sunday as moving day,” Aimee Weber ’11 said.

The next day the Ephs improved on their first day total by seven strokes and two players made strong comebacks from Day 1. O’Leary bounced back from a frustrating Day 1 finish to post an impressive 75. Weber also made improvements and contributed to the team total by carding an 87. Barton also cut one stroke from her first day to post a 79. In a field of 78 players, Barton finished the tournament tied for third and O’Leary ranked ninth.

However, St. Lawrence made huge strides on Sunday and cut 15 strokes from their first day’s total. In the end, the Ephs were unable to hold their fourth place position. “[This was] a weekend of ups and downs,” Anne O’Leary ’10 said. “A few of our players had a good and bad day and we need to work out the kinks and play well at the same time.”

The women go to Wellesley this weekend for a two-day invitational. “This is our opportunity to finally put ourselves in the mix for the team title and show our competition what we can really do,” Dale Markey ’11 said.