UVM trumps WRFC in 2

Last Saturday’s contest against UVM was intended to be a redemption match. Both the Williams Rugby Football Club and UVM came ready to play from the opening kickoff, with the White Dawgs trying to make up for last week’s blowout and UVM trying to avenge a loss to Williams from last spring.

UVM drew first blood to make the score 5-0. Determined to even the score, the White Dawgs came back down the field led by tough, strong play from the forward pack. Brian Hartman ’11 recovered a loose ball and made his way through a couple of UVM defenders before touching down a try to tie the game 5-5.

UVM responded later in the half, scoring their second try of the game to make the score 10-5. The White Dawgs then made their way back into UVM territory and line captain Taylor Nelp ’09 hit a penalty kick to bring Williams within two. After missing a couple of opportunities to score again, the White Dawgs finally capitalized as winger Chris Doyle ’09 touched down a try minutes before the half to give Williams a 13-10 lead going into the break.

UVM came out fired up to start the second half, driving the ball straight into Williams’ territory before converting a penalty kick to tie the match at 13-13. The WRFC struggled to mount an attack against the tough UVM defense in the second half but played exceptional defense, withstanding multiple goal line stands against UVM before finally relinquishing a penalty kick that put UVM ahead 16-13.

The White Dawgs came back in the final 15 minutes, remaining inside UVM territory for much of the time, but were unable to capitalize as UVM held on for the win by the final score of 16-13.

The Killer B’s took the field ready to take it to UVM’s B-side and avenge the A-side loss. The first half proved to be a learning experience as UVM’s more experienced B-side scored four times in the first half, rendering the score 24-0 at halftime.

The Killer Bs showed their heart, however, coming out in the second half ready to play with UVM. Led by tough play from B-side captain Scarface Liguori, and newcomers Hot Carl Whipple and Adam Century, the Killer B’s were able to put points on the board off a try from Whipple. Later in the half, fullback Lane Wang ’11 was able to find a seam in the UVM defense and score his first try to make to score 24-12. The Killer Bs defense picked up in the second half and held UVM scoreless. However, they were unable to recover from the 24 point deficit in the first half, falling to UVM by a score of 24-12.