Style Pop Quiz: Rob Kalb ’11

I found Rob Kalb ’11 listening to trendy, hipster music in his common room in Gladden.

So what are you wearing today?

I am wearing a German military jacket from 1988, a vintage t-shirt from the Marine Corps attachment in Oslo, Norway, a pair of Cheap Monday skinny jeans, and some Nike dunk high-tops.

How did you find your jacket?

I was in a military store that had European military clothing, so I saw this and thought it was pretty cool.

So you also got the Norway t-shirt from a military store?

Yeah, I just have strong interest in Norway. I actually have family who live in Trondheim so we took a trip to visit them, and I absolutely fell in love with the place. So I have this affection for Norway now.

What do you think influences your style the most?

I prefer clothing that is unique and sort of express my interests. I am really interested in European culture.

How did you first get interested in European culture?

I actually lived in Europe for five years. My dad worked for NATO, so we lived in Brussels [Belgium] when I was really young and I think it was a big influence of my perception of the world.

So has American style influenced you as well?

Well, the shoes that I am wearing are distinctly American. Nikes are a very American brand, so I think my style is a fusion of European style and American urban style.

Those are some spiffy shoes.

Yeah, I actually saw these in a sneaker store in Harlem when I was visiting some friends in New York.

How would you describe your sense of fashion?

Definitely different from the mainstream [fashion] here. I feel like most kids aren’t wearing military jackets, but yeah, it’s very evocative of who I am as a person.

So what are some of your favorite brands?

I like American Apparel, some things from H&M, Diesel.

How long does it take for you to get ready in the morning?

Um, like five minutes. I have this concept of what t-shirts and jeans I have, and I just sort of pick things that will look good together.