Women’s golf places in top 10 at Dartmouth

An extremely hilly and unconventional course at the Hanover Country Club, where women’s golf traveled last weekend for the two-day Dartmouth Invitational, didn’t stop the team from finishing in the top 10 against Div. I and Div. III competition. The women competed in a field of 17 teams and 93 players on a course that played as a par 38 on the front and a par 34 on the back. Eleven teams were Div. I and six teams were Div. III.

Harvard University took home the team title with a two-day total of 616. Second and third place were won by Dartmouth and Brown, respectively. By Sunday’s end, the Ephs’ ninth was the second best of Div. III squads. Melissa Barton ’09 led the Ephs, tying for 25th with a two-day total of 162, and Anne O’Leary ’10 ended the weekend tied for 32nd with a 163.

The team finished the first day with a total team score of 326. Barton carded a 77 and O’Leary checked in with an 80. Kait O’Brien ’10 finished with an 84, followed closely by Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kristen Tubbs ’12 with matching 85s.

“The team came off of Saturday’s round knowing there was much room for improvement, especially since this was our first competitive round of the season,” O’Brien said. The weekend’s event marks the first years the Ephs have played this course, since it’s Williams’ inaugural trip to the Dartmouth Invitational.

Unfortunately Sunday’s conditions weren’t ideal for the Ephs to improve on Saturday’s scores. The women teed off in the rain, which eventually slowed by the back nine, but left the course water-logged. There was a great deal of standing water which made the course longer and more difficult than it had been on Saturday. “The women struggled, but there were bright spots even on a dreary day,” O’Leary said, in spite of the sub-par weather conditions. “O’Brien and Nottebohm each dropped bombs on the ninth putting green to save par at the turn.”

In the end, the women tallied a frustrating team-total of 336. Leading the way on Sunday were O’Leary and Tubbs with matching 83s.

The Ephs will travel to the Mount Holyoke Invitational on Saturday to play a two-day event at the Orchards Golf Club.