Men’s golf finishes 10th

Men’s golf launched its fall season with a 10th place finish at Middlebury’s Duke Nelson Invitational, a two-day stroke-play tournament held at Ralph Myhre Golf Course last weekend.

Falling two places from Saturday’s rankings, the Ephs finished with a team score of 625 while Skidmore secured a first place finish with a two-day team total of 593.

Drew Murray ’11 snagged the lead with a 22nd place individual finish after posting a one-day team low of 73 and two-day team low of 153 (73-80). His teammates were not far behind, with Siwol Chang ’12 debuting with a striking two-day score of 156 (75-81) and Jack Killea ’11 and Bob Camp ’11 firing matching 158s, posting 80-78 and 79-79 respectively.

Captain Matt Felser ’09 carded a 162 (80-82). Impressive finishes by Galen Jackson ’09 (159, 76-83) and Rahul Bahl ’09 (159, 79-80), who competed as individuals and tied for 50th, rounded out the Ephs’ scores for the weekend.

“Though the results were disappointing, given the bad weather and the fact that it was the first tournament of the year, the team members are holding their heads high,” Killea said. “It’s a short season and all you can do is move forward and build upon your performances from week to week. That’s what we’re trying to do.” In 2008, Killea earned GCAA All-Northeast Region Honors.

The men entered the weekend tournament after an impressive showing in stage one of Tour de Golf, a seven-player match-play tournament held at Middlebury last Friday in which each three-person match is worth three points. Felser, Camp and Chang performed well, securing 6, 6 and 5 ½ points respectively. Further support from Murray (four points),

Jackson (3 ½ points), Bahl (2 ½ points) and Killea (½ point), helped the Ephs to an inspiring victory over the Panthers (26 points) and the Beavers (nine points).

With notable lead and home course advantage, the Ephs should have strong momentum moving into stage two of the Tour de Golf, to be held at Taconic Golf Club on Friday. “Our goal is for each player to compete to the best of their ability every day they come to the golf course, whether it is a practice round or a tournament round, treating practices as dress rehearsals,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said.

Keeping a clear head during competition will serve the team well as they enter the coming weekend’s Williams Invitational and continue to battle for top tournament finishes on the road to NCAAs. This week’s competition will take place at the Taconic Golf Club.