Letter: Remembering 9/11

Last Thursday was a perfectly normal day on campus; there were classes until 4 p.m., sports practice until 6:30 p.m. and homework until Friday. However, Thursday shouldn’t have been just another day at Williams; it was Sept. 11, a day that will always live in infamy. In fact, I only actually realized that it was Sept. 11 during my first period class when my math professor wrote the date on the board. Throughout the rest of the day I searched around campus for posters, lectures or even chalk messages commemorating our nation’s catastrophic loss, but I saw nothing. The campus seemed completely blasé. When I returned to my room after class, I decided that for once, I would check the Daily Messages to see if the day’s significance was mentioned. Finally at message sixteen, after the announcements of free latte samples and Winter Study Travel Course SPEC 24: Eyecare in Nicaragua, there was a message saying that flags at Williams would be flown at half mast. Not that I have anything against free latte samples, but come on Williams College, sort out your priorities!

Since this is my first year at Williams, I do not know how the College has honored the victims and heroes of the Sept. 11 in the past, but I know my high school conducted an assembly each year with dozens of posters and memorial candles placed around the building.

When the attacks of Sept. 11 happened, I remember how all Americans came together. Flags were draped from windows and practically every backyard. This manifestation of patriotic support sent a powerful message that America was more united than ever. Through our patriotism, our country became stronger and more unified than it had been before. However, here at Williams, the campus seemed to forget, or even worse, was apathetic towards Sept. 11. One solution to this problem would be as simple as having a campus-wide moment of silence: sometime in the middle of the day, a siren could sound, and everyone could pause for a minute.

Sept. 11 should be a circled date on everyone’s calendar regardless of one’s political affiliations. It is disrespectful to the victims and their families to continue through the day as if nothing happened.

God bless America.

Raphael Menko ’12