Letter: Muffin top support

Last week’s Eph Chic article brought to light the campus’s (and fashion world’s) preoccupation with clothing size and fit. However, the author’s sardonic tone detracted from the overall issue, suggesting that clothing fit is only a matter of exercising more or wearing baggier clothing.

While we shouldn’t wear uncomfortable and small clothing for the sake of sporting a certain size unbeknownst to anyone but the wearer, it’s not that simple to simply wear clothes that fit. First, most of us do not have the means to purchase a new set of denim every time we manage to squeeze in an extra spinning class, stress-binge during Reading Periods or keep up with the current trends. Second, the wide range of body types and proportions means that there is no ideal size or make of jeans. I, like many, have to sacrifice fit in one area of my body for snugness or droopiness in another area.

To the readers: do not be afraid to sport your muffin top or seek help if it bothers you. Kudos to those women and men unafraid to wear clothing hugging and accentuating their bodies! I urge you to wear clothing that is comfortable and pleasing to you. Perhaps others will talk or judge, but as Dr Seuss famously asserted, “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

If you want to seek help, though, the College offers a number of resources. The Williams College Health Center offers free psychological counseling, psychiatric education, eating disorders treatment and ongoing consultations with a nutritionist. Active Minds, the on-campus chapter of the national organization that spreads awareness of mental health education, offers programming and referral to resources surrounding matters such as body image, self-esteem and eating disorders and disordered behavior. Last year, the Williams College Women’s Center sponsored the “Love Your Body Day” campaign. It is through programming and resources such as these rather than judgmental articles that we can start talking about the issues of weight, self-esteem, body image and eating disorders that plague our campus.

Veronica Caridad Rabelo ’11