Field hockey wins NESCAC opener, 4-2

Despite last Saturday’s chilly Maine weather, field hockey defeated Bates 4-2 to clinch its first victory of the season. Strong play in the first period created a lead for the Ephs that proved insurmountable for the Bobcats.

Jess Overlander ’09, assisted by Amy Siedlecki ’10, gave the Ephs an early lead, notching the game’s opening goal within the first nine minutes of the game on a penalty corner. It took all of three and half minutes for the Ephs to add to their lead as Arianna Kourides ’09 capitalized on another penalty corner. Julia Nawrocki ’09 concluded the action in the first half, scoring off of an assist by Anne de Saint Phalle ’10 to give Williams a 3-0 lead heading into the break.

Both the Ephs’ offense and defense were clearly superior in the first period, as the women took an impressive 17 shots on goal while shutting out the Bobcats.

Bates threatened with a strong comeback in the second period with Emily Sampson scoring in the 43rd minute to put their team on the board. The Bobcats notched their second point at the hour mark after making a conversion on a penalty.

The Ephs remained nonplussed and de Saint Phalle ’10 extended the Williams lead with one final goal in the game’s 68th minute. The Ephs again dominated all-around for the rest the second half, taking 13 shots on goal to the Bobcats’ six. Over the course of the contest, Williams outshot Bates 30-6.

After a season-opening loss last week to Skidmore, Williams was able to rebound with a win in its first conference game. “We were more hesitant and played a little too conservatively,” Head Coach Alix Rorke said of the game against Skidmore, “and let the game escape us.”

However, it is clear from Saturday’s result that the Ephs worked hard to improve on their overall play. “We have had a great week of practice,” co-captain Meighan McGowan ’09 said. “We are really looking forward to going out there and proving our potential because I really think that last week was not indicative of our capabilities.”

“It’s simply a matter of us playing together as a unit,” she added, “and if that happens, we should be one of the top-seeded teams in the NESCAC.”
The women played Keene State at home last night, but the results came in too late to be included in this issue. The team will play at Clark tomorrow.