Women’s golf looks to build on solid spring

Women’s golf finished last year’s campaign with an eighth place finish at the NCAA championships. Currently, the Ephs are ranked 10th by the National Golf Coaches Association Poll.

Head Coach Kris Herman welcomes back nine returning players, in addition to three new recruits. Becca Sullivan ’11 and first-year rookies Kristen Tubbs ’12 and Grace Gordon ’12 are new to the team, and Herman will look to her upperclassman to lead the younger members.

Leading the charge is standout Anne O’Leary ’10 who garnered All-East Region honors last year and can be expected to bring home more hardware this fall. Fellow classmate Mary Gelber ’10, a two-sport athlete, will return this season after playing softball last spring. Gelber was a huge factor in the Ephs’ success last fall, especially when she finished second out of a field of seventy-five at the Mount Holyoke Tournament.

Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kait O’Brien ’10 will be looked upon this season for their consistent play. Nottebohm notched up a third place finish at the Vassar Invitational last spring and O’Brien was a key factor for the Ephs’ top-10 finish at the 2008 NCAA tournament.

Melissa Barton ’09 rounds out the Ephs upperclassman. Last year, Barton spent the fall semester abroad, but she returned to play in the spring season to assist the Ephs in capturing both the Massachusetts state championship and also the Vassar Invitational last spring.

“The Lady Ephs are ripe for competition,” Nottebohm said, “and have big boots to fill after last year’s success.”

The sophomore class of Lauren Anstey ’11, Dale Markey ’11, Aimee Weber ’11 and Mary Beth Daub ’11 has a strong presence on the team.

Anstey competed in last spring’s NCAA championships as a first-year and Markey took home a 12th place individual finish at last spring’s home invitational. Weber and Daub are two-sport athletes competing on the alpine ski team and softball team respectively; both are excited to contribute this season.

“[I am excited to have] a solid group of players who will be competing to play on the weekends,” Herman said. “We would like to be in the mix each weekend this fall and work to repeat as NESCAC champions.”

The eason-opening matches for the women will begin on Saturday, Sept. 13, at the Dartmouth College Invitational, which will be a two-day event for the competing teams.