Men’s golf aims for strong fall

After securing the NESCAC title in the spring, men’s golf received an automatic bid to nationals where they finished in a tie for 24th out of 35 teams. Under the tested direction of Head Coach Rick Pohle, the Ephs look to improve upon last year’s impressive 108-43 record. For his work in the spring, Pohle also received the Eaton Pride Northeast Region Coach of the Year award.

Encouraged by an impressive first place finish in last fall’s NESCAC Qualifier, co- captains Tyler Zara ’09 and Matt Felser ’09 hope to lead their team to a win at the 2008 NESCAC Qualifier to be held at Middlebury College on Sept. 28 and 29. Such a finish would give the Ephs the advantage of hosting the four-team NESCAC championship in the spring, where a win would secure the team a place in the 2009 NCAA tournament.

“Our team has had many great captains in the past, and I am confident that Matt [Felser] and Tyler [Zara] will continue this legacy,” Pohle said. “Their love of competition and ability to lead by example has gained them the respect of their teammates.”

With strong leadership and an exceptionally talented roster, the team goal of improving upon last year’s NCAA finish is certainly within reach. All-NESCAC First Team member Jake Wagner ’11 and Second Team All-NESCAC selections Jack Killea ’11 and Bob Camp ’11 will be joined by NESCAC championship and NCAA participant Drew Murray ’11 to round out the exceptional sophomore class.

Long-time players Chris Chiang ’09, Logan Gerrity ’09 and Rahul Bahl ’09 are sure to contribute to the Ephs’ anticipated success. Though the team graduated two strong and well-respected players, co-captain Brendan Conley ’08 and Nicholas Nottebohm ’08, the Class of 2012 looks to step up and compete alongside veteran members of the team.

First-years include Siwol Chang ’12, Will Hadden ’12, Christopher Valle ’12 and Mario Mastromarino ’12.

With a coach who has made 10 trips to the NCAA tournament, solid senior leadership, a talented returning squad and promising first-years, the Ephs look forward to donning the purple and gold and dominating the field in the 2008 fall season.

The men will compete on Friday at Middlebury and again at the Duke Nelson Invitational over the weekend.