College wins 12th Directors’ Cup

This past spring, Williams won its 10th consecutive Directors’ Cup, awarded annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) to colleges and universities with the most success in intercollegiate athletics. Williams has won the title 12 out of the 13 times it has been awarded, managing in every year, save 1998, to receive the honor of best overall athletic program for a Div. III school.

This year was a comeback victory, as the Ephs trailed first place Washington University by 36 points after the fall results were announced. After the winter season the Bears of Washington University extended their lead over Williams to 76.25 points, while second place Amherst held 29.75 point advantage over the Ephs.

As of June, however, the College was at the top of the pack with 1120.25 points. Washington University came in second with 899 points, followed by the College of New Jersey, Amherst and Middlebury, an indication of the strength of NESCAC athletic programs.

Points for the Cup are awarded based on the success of teams in NCAA events. The move to first place was spurred by the performance of several of the College’s spring teams. The men’s lacrosse team won its first New NESCAC title and for the first time entered the NCAA tournament. The women’s tennis team won a dramatic victory over defending champions Washington & Lee in the NCAA final, and women’s crew won its third straight national rowing title.

Upon word of the latest Directors’ Cup win, Harry Sheehy, director of athletics, expressed gratitude to the administration, and also the coaches and players for their tremendous seasons. “These student athletes are a constant source of inspiration for all who work with them,” he said.