Spring Street Blues

Monday 4-28-08

6:04 p.m. Dispatch received a report of a sprinkler pipe leaking in Spencer House. Officer placed a bucket under the leak and paged the on-call mechanical tradesman.

6:50 p.m. Officer noticed the blue light on the top level of the parking garage was flashing. There was no activation from this emergency pole and the phone was working properly. The on-call electrician was notified, but he was unable to fix the problem and it remained flashing all night.

8:20 p.m. Dispatch received a report of a urinal spraying water in the third floor bathroom from the Fitness Center. Officer responded and shut off the toilet and discovered that there was water on the floor and leaking into one of the staff offices below. A few ceiling tiles had already fallen into the office, and water was leaking directly onto a desk and computer. Officer began to move items away from the area, but in the process a ceiling tile and a metal phone box fell on his head and back. The on-call carpenter and custodian were notified, as was the occupant of the office.

Tuesday 4-29-08

6:35 p.m. Dispatch received a complaint from Fitch of loud noise and screaming. Officers found the source of the noise on Meadow Street, where a approximately 100 students were gathered outside a house. They were advised of the complaint and told that any further complaints would be directed to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD) because they are off campus. Most students were cooperative.

Wednesday 4-30-08

12:56 p.m. A stolen article report was taken from a student who reported her black belt valued at $100 stolen from Lasell between 10:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. the night of the Girl Talk show.

6:20 p.m. Officers responded to a fire alarm that was activated in Woodbridge caused by students cooking.

8:55 p.m. A student reported beeping in Morgan Hall. The carbon monoxide detector in the foyer was beeping once every 40-60 seconds. Officer took a reading with a portable meter and did not find dangerous levels.
Thursday 5-1-08

12:16 a.m. Officers responded to the north side of Mission Park for a complaint of violent animal noises. They found male raccoons fighting over a female raccoon and chased them from the area.

5:04 a.m. Student reported a vehicle driving on the lawn between Poker Flats and Cole Field House.

7:45 p.m. A fire alarm was activated in West College by students cooking.

9:07 p.m. By request of Health Center, officers responded to outside the Health Center to check on the welfare of a student sitting outside.

Friday 5-2-08

2:35 p.m. Facilities staff member called to report a minor motor vehicle accident on the east side of the hockey rink.

8:35 p.m. A fire alarm was received from the Log. A smoke detector was activated in the kitchen by cooking for the Alumni Relations function.

10:05 p.m. An anonymous caller reported a possible illegal party on Mills. Officers checked the entire floor and all other floors. No party was found.

10:48 p.m. Dispatch received an anonymous call concerning loud noise in Mark Hopkins. A small group was watching the Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks basketball playoff game on television. They also had music playing which was loud. The music was turned off and the Celtics lost.

11:56 p.m. A noise complaint was received from Wood House. Four students were found listening to music. They were advised of the complaint.

Saturday 5-3-08

12:10 a.m. Officer responded to Williams Hall after an anonymous tip and found an illegal drinking party with underage participants.

12:51 a.m. Officers responded to Prospect for a report of a student who was intoxicated and had taken some pills. 9-1-1 was activated and the student was transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH).
1:24 a.m. Officer working the tent party in the Berkshire Quad observed a student setting off a fire extinguisher in Currier by a card-reader door. The student turned and ran into Currier along with another student.

1:45 a.m. WPD officers informed Dispatch that they had received two noise complaints from Southworth Street residents and were shutting down the Berkshire Quad tent party.

10:32 a.m. Officer received a call to see a student in Carter who had found an envelope with white powder spread out on the carpet at the base of the door. Student reported hearing someone bang on the door and then what sounded like more than one person run away. Due to the uncertainty of the contents of the powder, WPD was notified.

Sunday 5-4-08

12:30 a.m. Dispatch informed supervisor of a student report of being targeted in a racial incident. Officers responded to speak to the student. The student was not in his room and did not respond to any further attempts at communication to get specific details of the incident.

8:50 a.m. 9-1-1 was activated from Morgan Hall. The caller wanted to go to NARH via ambulance due to a severe ear ache.