College plans summer renovations

Students may be packing up for the summer, but construction crews are just settling in for the long haul. The campus will remain busy with projects at Jesup, Clark Hall, Perry and the Williams College Museum of Art (WCMA).

One of the major efforts for Facilities this summer will be the widening of the entrance at the Office of Information and Technology’s (OIT) headquarters in Jesup as mandated by Massachusetts Architectural Access Board. By including a wheelchair lift in the entry vestibule, the renovation hopes to improve accessibility for people with physical disabilities. According to David Dower, director of Facilities planning and construction, the total cost of the project will be $500,000.

Masonry work will also fix water infiltration problems in the basement of Clark Hall from June to August. The College anticipates excavating the foundation walls at the east and north facades of the building, installing waterproofing material and re-grading the surfaces, all together amounting up to a cost of $130,000.

Perry House’s east entrance and patio have also faced water infiltration and other issues from normal wear-and-tear, which will require $350,000 worth of renovations during the summer.

In addition, Driscoll Drive will be repaired, widened for supply trucks and resurfaced from June to August. The project is expected to cost $160,000. According to Bob Volpi, director of dining services, each dining hall will also receive equipment upgrades and replacements, including a new electrical generator for Mission Park Dining Hall and restored support beams for Dodd Dining Hall.

The spate of construction and renovation work also extends to WCMA. At a cost of $250,000, components of the Museum’s 30-year-old heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems will be replaced or upgraded. Dower explained that these changes will improve the overall efficiency and performance of the building’s environmental control.

Dower also anticipates that construction on the North and South Academic Buildings will be completed by August, with furniture and equipment installed in time for professors to move into their new offices before the start of the semester.

Repairs to Goodrich Hall will also be completed in time for the fall semester. Contractors for the projects have yet to be determined.

Additional reporting by Steve Arenas, staff writer.