Women’s lax ends season

Women’s lacrosse finished its season on Saturday with a dramatic one-goal loss to Bowdoin. Earlier in the week, the Ephs also fell in a close game to the Conn. College Camels. The Ephs, who will not move onto the playoffs, finished the regular season with a 6-8 record overall, 2-7 within the NESCAC.

Saturday’s contest was close throughout, but time elapsed before the Ephs could mount a final comeback. The Polar Bears scored first off a fast break, putting Bowdoin ahead within the first ten seconds of play. The Polar Bears netted their next two shots to gain a 3-0 lead before Britt Spackman ’09 converted an Alison Murray ’08 pass into the Ephs’ first goal of the day. Whitney Thayer ’10 and Sara duPont ’08 followed with goals of their own, shifting the momentum in Williams’ favor. Bowdoin, however, answered with another run on the Ephs’ net.

With five minutes remaining in the first half, Spackman stepped up to keep the Ephs in the game. An unassisted goal, followed by a well-placed shot by Alice Nelson ’10, allowed Williams to enter half-time just two goals down at a score of 7-5.

Bowdoin scored first as play resumed in the second half, but duPont’s top-shelf rip closed the difference. In the longest scoring run of the game for either team, Spackman, Nelson, Sarah Adkins ’08 and Tina Nawrocki ’10 converted a shot apiece to tie the game at 10 with just seven minutes remaining.

Williams’ defense held strong, but Bowdoin’s Lindsay McNamara fired a shot by Sheiber’s stick to put Bowdoin ahead with 2:30 left to play.

The Polar Bears won the next draw, but were unable to hold onto the ball in the stall due to the Ephs’ aggressive defense. Williams’ attack held the ball for the last minute of play, but was unable to get a successful shot on goal. With just five seconds remaining, Bowdoin snagged a ground ball and finished the game.

“Despite the fact that we lost, I think the team played a great final game,” captain Lauren Kennedy ’08 said. “It was close and exciting until the end. Although I would have given anything for our season to continue [into the NESCAC tournament], we can feel proud about how we played and how we fought to the end.”

Last Wednesday, the women traveled to Conn. College. After 60 minutes of play, the Ephs lost 17-15 with Conn. College scoring with just 27 seconds left in the game. “We played well offensively and when you score 15 goals you hope the game goes your way,” Head Coach Chris Mason said. “But we played sloppy defense in the midfield and were not on them close enough all over the field.”

While last week’s games ended the season for women’s lacrosse, members of the team are focusing on the success they found throughout it. “Our record was not necessarily indicative of our team’s ability and performance,” Kennedy said. “We lost some games to weaker teams, but we also stepped up to beat a great team like Trinity and played well against league leader Middlebury.”

The seniors played a major role in bringing the team together. “Our five seniors were awesome on and off the field,” Thayer said. “In the coming years we will look to uphold the legacy of determination, persistence and team spirit which defined this season.”