Student takes issue with charges of insensitivity

As a senior who has weathered the many challenges facing a student at a privileged, beautiful and highly regarded institution of higher education, I feel it necessary to add my two cents to the barrage of incendiary commentary recently published in the Record. I am angry, I am offended and I call for deeper sensitivity to – [Insert non-socially conservative subject matter].

There once was a time when I was a small fish living in a big pond. A big pond – full of abstract and intangible problems that arrested the attention of my naïve, hopeful mind. Now my concerns stay neatly within the real, pressing issues of “diversity,” “acceptance” and “tolerance” – on this campus. Let’s face it; Williamstown is in dire need of change. Weekly additions to the under-represented and offended (as documented in the Record) are a testament to this fact. Like, for instance, me. I go to classes with people from private schools who actually got an education before they came here – which I really didn’t – so I’m an underdog and that’s not fair. I call for the construction of a Public School Kids Center, where we can all go and lament our parents not having a house on the Cape and commiserate over the trials of integration into a community away from home. I also am really short, and people make fun of me all the time for it. So I call for a Center for Short People to counter the “midget” comments I receive daily. I should be able to stand in a group at parties and not get elbowed in the face. I also should get a tray at Driscoll because I have small hands and can’t hold a lot of stuff at once. Life is hard for a short public-schooled person on this campus.

Additionally, two summers in a row I had to work two minimum wage jobs just to make my financial aid student contribution requirement. That’s not cool, especially when other people are beefing up their resumes in NYC. I had to work with people who went to community college. What is up with that? I don’t deserve that. These people had to work two jobs to pay their rent and I didn’t, so it wasn’t fair that I was subjected to their gross anti-intellectual views about people and politics and pop culture when obviously I was 10 times smarter than they were. They even made me work the waffle-cone maker at Cold Stone Creamery for three weeks straight. I felt so bourgeois.

Thank God I got to come back here every fall. – oops, no, what I meant to say was that I think this place is a travesty. People have to work minimum wage jobs to live and we’re complaining about Afroman and male genitals on white boards?! … Wait, no, that’s not what I meant to say. I meant to say that since we’re so smart we should, you know, be more sensitive to things that only privileged young adults who don’t have to worry about eating and feeding kids and paying rent are sensitive to. Like how I really need a place to discuss my concerns and fears over transitioning back into the real world where phallic imagery is actually considered funny. Can you imagine? People are so insensitive –

Kyle Frederick ’08