Ivory Towers

Princeton University first-year Malik Little has been charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault, endangerment of an injured victim and making terrorist threats following an altercation that took place last week. Little kicked and elbowed a woman, another first-year with whom he had allegedly been in a relationship, and tried to choke her when she attempted to leave the room. Witnesses after the incident reported seeing bruises on the woman and noticed that she was walking with a limp.

Little was a pianist on full scholarship at Princeton, but is no longer enrolled at the University, nor permitted on the grounds. Cass Cliatt, University spokeswoman, told the Daily Princetonian that Public Safety “is fully aware that Mr. Little is not permitted on campus. Officers can readily identify Mr. Little if he were to come to campus, and he will be taken into custody [if he does so].”

“It doesn’t appear at this time that he will return to campus,” Ciatt said.

The victim is reportedly attending counseling. She had become pregnant just before breaking up with Little, and Assistant Prosecutor Amy Devenny said that Little allegedly threatened that he would kill her if she got an abortion.

The woman contacted the Princeton Borough police about the incident after “she reported this to Princeton University, who didn’t do anything,” Devenny said.

Cliatt said that Princeton’s “action in this matter was very timely and responded to the many complicated aspects of this case,” adding that “cases that involve a level of violence are referred to the Borough.”

Earlier in the semester, a witness had called campus police on March 9 after hearing crying and pleading from Little’s room. When a public safety officer responded, the woman had said that she was fine.

“Malik has a lot of issues … It’s not as black and white as it seems,” an unnamed Princeton student said, describing the situation as “very complicated.”

The Daily Princetonian

Harvard alum Rockefeller donates $100M for foreign study

David Rockefeller, member of the Harvard Class of 1936 and the patriarch of the Rockefeller clan, recently pledged $100 million of to his alma mater. The gift, which represents the largest sum Harvard has ever been pledged from an alumnus, is to be used for increased study abroad opportunities and enrichment in the arts.

Rockefeller has designated about $70 million towards international and cultural opportunities, encouraging students to participate in study abroad courses, internships, work or travel. Inspiration for this gift comes from Rockefeller’s own study abroad experience in Germany during the rise of fascism. “Harvard opened my eyes and my mind to the world,” Rockefeller said.

The number of Harvard undergraduates studying abroad has more than doubled from four years ago, increasing from 667 to 1450. A survey of graduating seniors revealed that even more would have hoped to study abroad but could not due to financial constraints.

Rockefeller’s gift will offer stipends to students who might not otherwise be able to afford to study abroad. It will also be used to expand the Office of International Programs and Office of Career Services’ capacity for advising and support for program development.

“Increasingly, our society is grappling with issues of global significance, and enabling our students to incorporate experiences into their study is thus more important than ever,” said Michael Smith, dean of the faculty of arts and sciences. “This generous gift greatly enhances our efforts to build our study abroad programs around the incredible educational value of living and learning while immersed in another culture.”

The remaining $30 million is to be used to enrich programs in the arts. The allocation of the money will be determined by recommendations of the Arts Task Force, which includes both faculty and students spanning many art fields.
Rockefeller traces his own appreciation of the arts back to his Harvard undergraduate education. Since then, according to an article in the New York Times, his study of art has “become a lifelong passion.”

Harvard has assets of $35 billion, the largest university endowment in the world. Previously, Rockefeller had made donations amounting to $40 million to Harvard, and he plans to give the university an additional $2.5 million in each of his remaining years. The $100 million gift is to be given upon his death.

Harvard Gazette, New York Times