Women’s rugby blanks Keene St. in home match

On Saturday morning at Cole Field, women’s rugby officially went undefeated at home this season. The White Dawgs accomplished their goal by winning their only home match scheduled for this spring. Defeating Keene State by a solid margin and leaving them scoreless for the day, both the A-side and the B-side showed improvement in their mauling and line support, two aspects of their game they had worked on all week.

In the A-side game, the WWRFC’s depth was evident, gaining contributions from a variety of players. Alessandra LaFiandra ’08, the newest senior on the team, scored the second try of her career as she ran the ball into the try zone after a great pass from Brittni Micham ’10. Kim Dacres ’08, line captain extraordinaire, completed a try of her own, going into a tackle low and extending gracefully to touch the ball down.

Jess Beck ’08 scored on the first play of the second half, receiving a pass from Dacres and violently flipping the ball over the try line like a plate of food at the ’6 House Pub. Liz Hirschhorn ’08 scored a try thanks to a series of strong rucking cycles by the Williams scrum and later scored off a fe-fi-fo-fum penalty play with Liz Pierce ’08. Hannah Rosenthal ’10 barreled through many people as per usual and scored, along with cleanly converting two kicks. The final score has been approximated at 34-0.

In the B-side 30-minute half, the White Dawgs managed to squeeze in a lot more impressive athleticism as their younger players continued to improve. Rosenthal touched the ball down two more times for a hat trick for the day. Getting low and driving the ball into the try zone, Maggie Tucker ’09 scored, mounting the evidence yet again that she is more than just a pretty face. Dacres chipped in another try and got kicked in the head simultaneously. Alyson Hoffman ’10 and Carol Tsoi ’11 consistently got off clean, quick passes, and they were fearless on the line. Coming after her captains pleasantly discovered that she had an excellent foot the day before the match, rookie Sarah Franklin ’10 completed a beautiful conversion kick in her second rugby match ever. Jacquita Richardson ’10 ran the ball down the field with great support from Rachel Savain ’10 and Leah Lansdowne ’11, allowing the B-side team to top Keene State 22-0.

“We had intense play on Saturday with solid rucking and continuity from the line,” Beck said. “We also performed well in post-game festivities, enabling us to sufficiently beat Keene State both on and off the field.”

The WWRFC is currently in Amherst Week. The team will wear their Williams jerseys 24 hours a day for the entire week. They will lay those jerseys on the line when they travel to Amherst on Saturday, hoping to return home with black jerseys and eternal glory.