Women’s lax climbs to .500

On Sunday, women’s lacrosse (6-6, 2-5 in the NESCAC) beat Springfield 12-8 in its fourth win in the last seven days. The week also included wins over Endicott, Skidmore and conference rival Trinity (8-5, 5-3). The women are now back to .500 heading into their final week of regular season play.

Sunday marked the last home game of the Ephs’ season and the five seniors, Lauren Kennedy ’08, Sara duPont ’08, Sarah Adkins ’08, Alison Murray ’08 and Stephanie Hsiung ’08, were recognized before the game for their four years of dedication to the team.

Williams controlled the ball for the majority of the match, with Alison Murray ’08 scoring three and Whitney Thayer ’10 and Tina Nawrocki ’10 each putting two goals away. Julia Nawrocki ’09, Britt Spackman ’09, duPont, Tracey Ferriter ’10 and Alice Nelson ’10 also contributed a goal apiece. The Ephs took 33 shots to the Pride’s 17 and goalie Julia Schreiber ’11 came up with seven saves.

The day before, Williams traveled to Hartford, Conn. to battle Trinity on Bantam turf. The Ephs, ranked seventh in the NESCAC, entered the game as underdogs against third-ranked Trinity, but the team was ready to prove itself. “I think that we gained confidence and got the taste of victory back in our mouths with the wins over Endicott and Skidmore during the week and with this we were able to come out strong against two very good opponents over the weekend,” duPont said.

CJ Yanofsky put Trinity on the board first off a free position shot, but Williams answered back quickly, putting in the next six goals of the game. Thayer and Tina Nawrocki each notched two goals and duPont and Spackman tallied one a piece.

At halftime, Williams held a slight 7-6 lead which was quickly erased by a Caitlin Irvine goal for Trinity just 58 seconds into the second half. Anne Marie Burke ’11 re-gained the lead with her unassisted fast-break shot, but the Bantams once again evened the score with an unassisted goal of their own.

A five-goal run created by two Thayer goals and one-shot pops by Ferriter, Murray and Julia Nawrocki, put the Ephs up by a substantial five-point margin. Great defensive play by Williams, led by goalie Schreiber’s nine saves, held Trinity off and secured the 13-11 win.

The Ephs started their winning week with a Thursday night victory against Skidmore, posting five unanswered goals to begin the half. Spackman contributed three while Thayer and Tina Nawrocki each netted one. Skidmore’s Lauren McCarthy scored on a free position shot to put her team on the board, but the Ephs’ attack continued to dominate as Ferriter and Tina Nawrocki followed up with back-to-back goals two minutes later.

Before the end of the half, Williams racked up nine more goals and entered the break with a 16-3 lead. Within the nine-goal scoring streak, duPont, Thayer, and Spackman each had two goals apiece.

The second half was a back-and-forth scoring match between the Ephs and the Thoroughbreds as defenders Lauren Kennedy ’08 and Lizzy Burns ’09 crossed the line to snatch two goals. Stephanie Hsiung ’08 added one. Skidmore netted one more goal, but the Ephs walked off the field with an impressive 19-7 win.

Spackman led the team with five goals and three assists in the contest. “Britt elevated the level of play, and helped raise our level of intensity,” Head Coach Christine Mason said. “While there was a big goal differential, Skidmore was a fast and intense team. We played with better speed and intensity than we have all season and this is how we need to continue to play.”

“Our success comes from the fact that we never quit and play as hard as we can one game at a time,” Kennedy said. “In addition, our midfield transition and draw control have greatly improved over the past few games, which play a large part in our winning.”

A string of early losses makes success in the team’s last two regular season games against Conn. College and Bowdoin crucial for earning a spot in the NESCAC tournament. Kennedy is optimistic about the team’s chances. “While no athlete is ever happy to lose, I’m glad that our rocky period came earlier in the season,” Kennedy said. “It’s nice to be clicking as a team and getting better every game as you go into the playoffs.”