Women’s golf wins invite

Women’s golf brought home some hardware last weekend when the Ephs captured the Massachusetts State Invitational, hosted by Mount Holyoke on Friday. The team was represented by Laura Koplik ’09, Melissa Barton ’09, Kait O’Brien ’10, Anne O’Leary ’10 and Kristin Nottebohm ’10. The one-day event played at the Orchards Golf Club included four other Massachusetts squads – Amherst, Boston University, Mount Holyoke and Wellesley. The women posted a score of 342, placing them ahead of BU by one stroke.

“I knew it was going to come down to the wire, and it was great to get that win, especially over a Div. I team,” Barton said.

Despite the summery weather, there were relatively high scores across the field, which is likely due to the difficulty of the course. Also, the ladies faced five temporary greens because of ice damage that the club experienced over the winter months. “It was hard to adjust to the different speeds of the greens, but we were lucky to work with otherwise very favorable conditions,” O’Brien said.

The Ephs continued their solid play into the weekend at the Jack Leaman Invitational, a two-day event hosted by Amherst beginning on Saturday. Lauren Anstey ’11 joined the team in place of Nottebohm. The first day was played at Hickory Ridge Golf Club and the ladies returned to the Orchards for Sunday’s round. The competing schools included NESCAC rivals Middlebury and Amherst along with a few Div. I squads and an appearance from UC Santa Cruz. After Saturday’s round, playing in a field of eleven schools, the Ephs were in first, with a team-total of 346.

The women were once again paired with Middlebury and Amherst for the final round. The Ephs held a four-shot lead over the Jeffs and a five-shot margin over the Panthers.
“We knew that we had to be prepared to face the competition and pressure of the last day of the tournament,” O’Leary said. “We were ready to leave everything out there.”
By Sunday’s end, the women had surpassed their NESCAC competitors, but BU had a stellar second-day performance, boosting them ahead of the women by one shot – a role-reversal from Friday. Williams took home second place with a score of 691, while BU posted a 690. Individually, O’Leary led the team with a 169, followed by Barton and Koplik’s 175, O’Brien’s 176 and Anstey’s 177.

“It was a hard way to end the weekend, but despite the second-place finish we battled well,” Head Coach Fran Vandermeer said.

The Ephs look forward to practicing at Taconic Golf Course this week in preparation for their home invitational this weekend. Tee times begin at noon on Saturday and Sunday.