Spring Fling deemed a success

Third Eye Blind and opening act Absentstar highlighted this year’s Spring Fling with a sold-out concert Sunday. In front of over 800 people in Towne Field House, the band played old favorites “Jumper” and “Semi-Charmed Life,” in addition to music from their newer albums.

According to Ali Barrett ’09, All-Campus Entertainment (ACE) president, 725 tickets to the event were sold, mostly through presale to students. Around 700 tickets were sold on campus, while the rest were sold online to students and the general public. The concert sold out early last week, leading many students to clamor last minute for tickets. In all, 101 tickets were sold to non-Williams students, down from last year’s figures.

ACE sold around 200 fewer tickets than last year, when Guster and the Format played the Spring Fling concert. The lower numbers are due to a reduced fire capacity, which this year was set at 850 people including the band and crew. Last year’s concert was also held in Towne Field House, but was able to accommodate around 1000 people. “[This year] was similar to last year, except capacity was slightly higher,” Barrett said. “We sold out at the door at Guster, and tickets were slightly less expensive.”

Due to unforeseen changes in contract, the concert ran more than $10,000 over budget. College Council and Campus Life covered most of the extra costs. (See page 1.)

Although the news that Third Eye Blind would be performing at this year’s Spring Fling was met with mixed reactions, the event seems to have been a success among students. “I thought it was fantastic. It went well above my expectations, which were already high,” Barrett said. “People had a great time.”

According to Bea Miles, director of facilities, the weekend was relatively quiet, with the only major parties being the a junior formal, a Junior Advisor screw dance at Currier, a women’s rugby event at Garfield and an event with around 125 people at Spencer. “It seems like it was a busy weekend, but fortunately it was pretty quiet on the damage front,” Miles said. “The only damages were to a table and chair in Tyler.”