Men’s track beats Wesleyan to win Little Three title

Men’s track won its fourth consecutive Little Three title at the Amherst-hosted meet this Saturday. Williams came out on top with a team score of 182 points. Wesleyan was runner up with 117 points, and Amherst rounded out the Invitational with 82 points. The meet served as a final tune-up before the bigger championship meets in the weeks to come.

The Ephs started the running events off with a solid performance in the 4×100 meter relay, which consisted of Sy Schotz ’10, Deividas Seferis ’09, Pierre-Alexandre Meloty-Kapella ’10 and Andrew Arons ’08. Despite some handoff snafus from other teams, the men ran a strong time of 42.16, just .16 off from a provisional qualifier for the national meet.

“There was so much action going on during my handoff,” Seferis said. “[The] Amherst [runner] fell and rolled on his face, and Wesleyan threw his baton, which went flying by my head.” Amherst and Wesleyan were disqualified, and Williams took the race by default.

Jared Oubre ’08 had a breakout race in the steeplechase, crossing the line first with a blazing finishing kick to clock a 20-second personal record of 9:30.54. Matt Sullivan ’11 took the 110 hurdles with a time of 15.79 seconds.

Seferis, Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 and Alex Hoerman ’09 swept the 400, taking first through third respectively with times of 48.81, 49.49 and 49.63. Arons and Seferis finished neck and neck in the 200 to take first and second – Arons barely edging out Seferis to claim victory with a time of 21.48. Pierre-Alexandre Meloty-Kapella ’10 rounded out the Williams domination of the sprint events, taking first in the 100 (11.32).

The 800 was stacked with Williams harriers, as seven out of the top 10 finishers donned purple and gold. Although the win went to an Amherst runner, Williams swept the remaining top spots, with John Chaffe ’09 coming in second and co-captain Mack Brickley ’08 taking third.

The Ephs also swept the top four spots of the 400 hurdles. Joseph Buck ’09 took the race, running a personal record of 54.95. Matt Desir ’08, Sullivan, and Oubre rounded out the top four spots.

Despite the 80 degree weather in the 5000, Corey Watts ’10 ran the final 400 meters of the race in 63 seconds to come from behind and steal the victory.

Newcomer Geoff McCrossen ’11 won the pole vault with a vault of 3.62 meters. Matt Farley ’11 won the hammer throw with a toss of 47.30 meters.

Williams jumpers took places three through seven in the long jump, with Nicholson, Steve Rubin ’11, David Kessel ’08 and Ikenna Iheoma ’10 finishing the event in that order for Williams. Rob McDonald ’11, Nicholson and Galen Jackson ’09 placed second, third and fourth in the high jump.

Williams went one and two in the shot put, with Andrew DeSalvo ’08 dominating the competition, throwing for 15.14 meters. Syvad Young ’11 had the second best mark of 13.29. In the discus DeSalvo and Young again went one and two, with marks of 38.13 meters and 36.14 meters, respectively.

“It’s always nice,” said DeSalvo “to come to Little Threes and do so well in the throwing events. The sun was shinning, and I was just feeling it today, you know? But as a senior, it’s really all about the team, and I was just happy to score 28 points to help us out.”

The men will compete at the Penn Invitational tomorrow and Friday and will participate in the NESCAC championships this weekend at Hamilton.