Men’s lax defeats Trinity, 14-6

Men’s lacrosse (6-5, 3-5 in the NESCAC) marked its second straight victory last Saturday, when Williams beat Trinity (5-7, 3-5) by a score of 14-6. The Ephs jumped out to a commanding lead and never looked back, going up, 10-1, by halftime. A win next Saturday at Bowdoin will secure Williams a berth to the conference tournament.

With the scored tied at 1-1 early in the game, the men’s offense went on a run to score the next nine goals of the game. One of the goals came when the Ephs were in a man-down situation due to a penalty. Williams’ defense, led by Brian Morrissey ’09, created a quick turnover, and the Ephs found themselves in scoring position. Ryan Powell ’09 led the break for the Ephs and then delivered a quick pass to Morrissey, who pounded the ball into the back of the net.

The Ephs’ quick offensive surge in the beginning of Saturday’s game came in large part from successful face-offs from Cory Jacobs ’11. Jacobs aggressive performance propelled the Ephs to several goals.

Tim White ’09 and Rich Reuter ’10 each had two goals for the Ephs, and standout David Hawley ’11 added another four goals, pushing his team-leading total to 31 on the season.
“I think our team is finally hitting our stride,” Hawley said. “We are really starting to gel. I think we have a great opportunity to make a run in the NESCAC playoffs.”

The Ephs started the second half with another goal, making it their 10th unanswered score. With the score at 11-1, the game was all but won for the men.

Trinity tried to close the gap with a goal by Kris Tedeschi, sparking a four-goal run and pulling them within five goals. However, any chance of a comeback was smashed by Powell, who ran from the midline and broke through the Bantams’ defense to notch another point for the Ephs. Powell’s goal made the score 12-6 with a little over ten minutes to play in the game. Hawley and White each added another goal to give the Ephs a 14-6 victory.

The men dominated Trinity in all aspects of the game. They led in shots with 46 to Trinity’s 26 and in ground balls, 42-28. Jacobs helped give the Ephs the face-off advantage 14-10.
The win gives Williams two victories in a row, and more importantly, it gives them confidence for their must-win game Saturday against Bowdoin.