Women’s tennis dominates

Women’s tennis (13-2, 4-0 in the NESCAC) captured resounding victories over Wesleyan (10-6, 3-3 in the NESCAC) and Conn. College (6-7, 1-3 in the NESCAC) last weekend. The 8-1 win against Wesleyan on Saturday earned Williams the Little Three title, and the 9-0 rout of Conn. College on Sunday finished off a perfect run at home this spring.

Ominous skies and scattered showers drove the matches into Lansing Chapman Rink, but there was nothing dreary about the results. Against these middle-of-the-pack NESCAC schools, the Ephs were able to take the offensive and win decisively. The goal was to win but also to “stay focused and finish out the matches as efficiently as possible,” said Head Coach Alison Swain. “I think we achieved that against Wesleyan and played even better against Conn. College.”

The Williams doubles pairs had little trouble with their Conn. College opponents. Nikki Reich ’11 and Annie Hancock ’09 won easily on court three, 8-1. Co-captain Allie Rottkamp ’08 and Grace Baljon ’10 followed suit on court two, winning 8-3. The Camels on court one initially edged ahead of the Ephs, but Cary Gibson ’09 and co-captain Annie Schneidman ’08 held on. Down 5-2, the Williams pair attacked at net and eventually claimed the final doubles victory, 8-6.

At singles, the Ephs destroyed the Camels. Baljon, Ashley Parsons ’10, Hancock and Katie Friedman ’11, denied the opposition a single game – they all won 6-0, 6-0. Reich missed just one game on court two and won 6-0, 6-1. On court five, co-captain Katrina Ferrera ’08 beat her opponent, 6-2, 6-1.

The story was much the same on Saturday afternoon when the Ephs faced the Cardinals. Williams started off by taking the lead in the doubles. Gibson and Schneidman managed another close 8-6 victory on court one. Reich and Hancock teamed up on court two and won 8-1. Jane Kelley ’08 and Genny Loomis ’10 faltered, losing 8-4 on court three.
The singles matches, however, went to the Ephs, as all were decided in two sets. Baljon led off for the women on the top court and won 6-2, 6-2. Straight down the line, the Ephs added wins as Parsons, Rottkamp, Hancock, Friedman and Ferrera downed their opponents.

The lineup was slightly altered for the Ephs’ final home match of the season, as everyone had a chance to play. “I think we have a lot of depth on our team so we have the ability to play everyone in the lineup,” Swain said.

Next weekend, the full lineup will return to the courts in preparation for postseason play. The Ephs will play the final dual matches of the season at Bowdoin and Bates on Saturday and Sunday.