Women’s golf claims Vassar Invitational

After a strong showing at Jekyll Island two weeks ago, women’s golf won the Vassar Invitational last weekend. Laura Koplik ’09, Anne O’Leary ’10, Melissa Barton ’09, Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Dale Markey ’11 represented the team.

The women fired a two-day total of 685, six strokes better than the second place team, St. Mary’s College (Ind.). Middlebury followed in third place with a score of 695. The event was played at Casperkill Golf Club in Poughkeepsie, NY; a par 72, 5,800 yard course. This victory follows the latest national Golf World/NGCA poll which currently ranks the Ephs seventh amongst Div. III squads.

Williams posted a 337 on the first day of competition, the lowest score of the tournament. This gave the women a 14-shot lead over second place St. Mary’s heading into Day 2, and the squad was able to hold onto its position despite the cold and rain of Sunday’s round.

Head Coach Fran Vandermeer was extremely pleased with the team’s play this weekend. “They battled through tough weather conditions and early season greens,” she said.
The women were matched with NESCAC rivals Amherst and Middlebury for the final round pairings. “It’s always great to face these two teams when the tournament is on the line,” said O’Leary.

After the scores were tallied, Nottebohm led the Ephs with back-to-back rounds of 84. Nottebohm garnered an impressive third-place individual finish out of 55 players, her best tournament score to date. Barton followed Nottebohm’s 168 with a score of 170 and finished ninth. Then, O’Leary notched a 173, Koplik had a 174 and newcomer Markey posted a 194. “After this weekend,” Markey said, “it became clear that the team’s ability to motivate one another is a key factor for success.”

Taconic Golf Course is expected to reopen this week, and the women are eager to begin practicing on their home course. On Friday, the Ephs will play in the Massachusetts State championship, followed by two rounds at the Jack Leaman Invitational on Saturday and Sunday. Amherst will host both events.