Women’s rugby goes 1-1 in Conn.

riving two-and-a-half hours to Connecticut for two super-short rugby games would really suck.” Boy, was she right.

Despite the long travel time and the hefty speeding ticket a certain team correspondent received, women’s rugby (2-1) had an overall strong showing as the White Dawgs went 1-1 at a round robin tournament hosted by Western Connecticut State.

First facing Southern Connecticut on the pitch for what was more of a warm-up match, the team got off to a rocky start. Before the game even began, scrum captain Jessica Beck ’08 accidentally flushed her cell phone down the toilet in the stadium bathroom. Southern Connecticut then dominated during the first half, but in the second half Beck and Liz Pierce ’08 changed the momentum of the game with one try apiece. The WWRFC fell to Southern Conn. 12-10, but they vowed to redeem themselves in the next match.

After the tiny mark on the White Dawgs’ previously unblemished record, the second match against Western Connecticut was a different story. The team picked up the pace and showed exceptionally strong play on the line from Kim Dacres ’08 and Ya-Wen Lu ’08. Dacres lost a cleat mid-game, but that mishap did not prevent her from adding a try to the WWRFC’s score.

Brittni Micham ’10 and Hannah Rosenthal ’10 were on point with their tackling in the backfield, helping to keep Western Conn. scoreless. Jacquita Richardson ’10 was fearless in the pack, scoring a try and generally being a hoss in scrumdowns with hooker Beverly Acha ’09 and loose prop Bethany Baker ’10 in the front row. Lindsay Parham ’10 was sneaky in the rucks, and Micham added some sneakiness of her own with a graceful cherry-pick during the first half.

As her cell phone was traveling through the Connecticut sewer system, Beck was traveling toward the try zone in a similar way – kind of. Beck’s try was followed by a great run by Rosenthal, who then followed up her own try with a successful conversion kick to end the game with a score of 22-0.

The WWRFC will host Keene State this Saturday on its pitch at Cole Field. The Keene State matchup will be the White Dawg’s only home game of the season, playing in front of what is sure to be a crowd of thousands.