TogaSpank sets standard for successful student events

It’s almost 9 p.m. on Saturday night, and I’m holding a sheet in one hand and a safety pin in the other. The Bluto inside me says “Toga! Toga!” but the five semesters I’ve spent at Williams tells me that theme parties just don’t work here.

Of course, anyone who was at TogaSpank 2008 knows that by 10 p.m. the tent at Poker Flats was a living, breathing thing filled to the brim with party-goers who were nearly all-clad in traditional ancient Greek garb. By the time Afroman was ready to go on stage, there was a line out of the back of the tent and countless hopeful coeds were trying to sneak in under the noses of Williams’ finest.

While the stage was being cleared for Afroman and his unforgettable posse, I looked into the eyes of every single Eph in front of me and saw something I hadn’t seen for the longest time: hope. Hope for a future of fun at Williams.

I saw people come out of their shells that night. I saw, for what seems like the first time in such a long time, college students being college students. There is a time and a place for all of the valuable contributions made by this enormously impressive student body, but there is also a time and a place for us to just cut loose. Some would say that thrusting 400 students into a damp tent, with beer flowing, music blasting, and lights flashing is unhealthy, but I disagree. I think it’s just what the doctor ordered for this campus.

Parties like TogaSpank are a healthy, and, I believe, necessary component of student life. Let’s have some more.

Kenny Flax ’09