Men’s lacrosse falls to Amherst

Men’s lacrosse (4-5, 2-5 in the NESCAC) saw its two game winning streak come to a decisive end on Saturday when the Jeffs buried the Ephs, 17-8. Due to Williams’ loss to the Amherst but its win over Wesleyan the 2008 Little Three title will be split three ways. With the win, Amherst moves to 7-5, 2-4 in the conference.

Amherst started off the game on fire, scoring the first four goals of the match in the first seven minutes of regulation. The Ephs held off the Jeffs for the rest of the quarter and scored one of their own when Dixon Hargrove ’08 put in his first goal of the contest with only 18 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

There were rays of hope for the Ephs early in the second quarter as Michael Vrla ’08 scored off an Andy Caposeo’08 pass to pull the Ephs to within two, 4-2. However, the Jeffs rattled off three straight goals to make it a 7-2 game. Williams added one more goal before the half, but Amherst responded with a goal of its own. The Ephs could not get any closer, leaving the score 8-3 at the break.

The second half did not go any better for Williams. The Ephs were outscored in the third 5-3 and entering the fourth quarter Williams trailed Amherst by seven goals, with the score 13-6.

Amherst added four more goals in the final quarter to solidify their convincing victory. Amherst goaltender, Matt Pietroforte, had 18 saves in the contest. The Jeffs’ TJ Jackson scored five times, and Will Ferrer added four more to help sink the Ephs. Jeff Brett Miller also added six assists for Amherst. David Hawley ’11, Hargrove and Vrla had two goals apiece for the Ephs in the losing effort.

Although they failed to find the back of the net, the Ephs remained competitive with their rivals in terms of shots on goal. While Amherst put up 42 shots, Williams had a comparable 38.

Williams hopes to rebound at home on Thursday against Keene State.