Women’s golf claims 7th place

Women’s golf opened its spring season on March 21 at the Jekyll Island Invitational hosted by Oglethorpe University. Williams finished seventh out of 26 teams in the three-day event, which featured 142 golfers competing on the par 72.

Berry College, a Div. II team, won the event with a team total of 959. The Ephs fired a final-round 339 in very windy conditions and ended with a three-day total of 1010 to finish third amongst the Div. III teams. The University of St. Thomas (987) and Wisconsin-Stevens Point (1004) placed first and second, respectively, amongst Div. III squads.

The best collective showing came for the Ephs in the first round when they posted a respectable 330. Anne O’Leary ’10 shot a best of 83, Melissa Barton ’09 had a best of 81 and Laura Koplik ’09 scored an 80. Koplik’s consistent play over the three days earned her a 13th place individual finish.

The Ephs practiced in Orlando at the Orange County National Golf Center before traveling to the Jekyll Island Invitational, which meant that the women had to quickly find their games with only three days of play before arriving in Georgia for the first round.

“Our golfers competed well, kept battling all weekend and will benefit from this early season tournament experience,” said Head Coach Fran Vandermeer.

The women are eager to build off of their recent success as they begin their tournament schedule in the North. The prospect of a bid to the national tournament is a goal the Ephs are keeping in mind. At the Jekyll Island Invitational, the team placed ahead of six schools that are currently ranked ahead of them in the national coaches’ poll.

The Ephs are currently working at the nets and staying focused. Next up is a two-day event at Vassar this weekend.