Women’s crew tops Holy Cross, UNH in all races

Women’s crew raced Holy Cross and the University of New Hampshire at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester on Saturday. The women dominated as all four of the team’s boats won their races. The first varsity won by eight seconds, and the second varsity won by 17.4 seconds, while the third varsity won by 4.4 seconds, and the first novice boat won by 17.3 seconds.

“For all four boats to sweep at an early race means we’re on target to have a deep team,” Assistant Coach Mary Shofner said.
Last week, the team found Onota Lake, their practice course, still frozen. The men and women relocated to Buskirk, N.Y, where they will row on the Hoosic River for the next few weeks or until Onota thaws.

“Buskirk is all about attitude, and right now the women have the ‘right’ attitude about our training situation,” Head Coach Justin Moore said. “We are basically a ‘mash unit,’ driving through three states and boating out of a field in order to practice each day. The women are showing up with smiles and enthusiasm for the work. We need this because there is a lot of work that remains to be done.”

The team had a successful day of competition at the Murphy Cup on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia on March 29. The first varsity earned second place, 6.64 seconds behind Bucknell and 5.76 seconds ahead of Navy. The second varsity also placed second to Bucknell by 6.50 seconds, beating St. Joe’s by 2.82 seconds. The third varsity raced in the JV category, finishing third in their heat, and missing qualifying for the final by less than three seconds. The first novice boat got third place, 11.20 seconds behind St. Joe’s and 5.98 seconds behind Bucknell.

“I am glad that the women had the opportunity to race on this tradition-laden race course,” Moore said. “Given that we had only 10 days on the water, and the women were fatigued from our training trip and significant travel, I am pleased with how we raced.”

The women stopped at the Murphy Cup while on their way back from their annual training trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C. The team spent 10 days practicing on the Intracoastal Waterway, taking full advantage of the warm weather.

In the middle of the trip, the women’s novice squad traveled to compete on Lake Hartwell in Clemson, S.C. at the Clemson Sprints, their first 2,000m race of the year. The first novice won the novice eight category, beating the University of Georgia Rowing Club by almost 23 seconds. The novice women also competed in the varsity eight category, beating the University of Georgia Rowing Club by over 10 seconds.

“Their competition consisted of a few solid club programs, so by being varsity student athletes, they were at an instant advantage. They handled themselves with both the focus and intensity of a varsity team,” Shofner said.
On Saturday, the women will race against Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Conn. College on Lake Quinsigamond.