Spring Street Blues

Monday 3-31-08

12:04 a.m. Officers responded to Schow Library, where lights were shutting off and on in different areas sporadically. One staff member experienced a shock when she tried to turn some lights on. The on-call electrician was notified and responded.

10:32 a.m. Officers responded to Clark Hall for a report of an ill student. The student was conscious but appeared disoriented, shaky and perspiring. Village Ambulance arrived and transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH).

2:58 p.m. A contractor reported that the catalytic converter was cut off his pick up while parked in the parking garage. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) was notified and responded to the scene.

Tuesday 4-1-08

11:40 a.m. An officer witnessed a vehicle proceed the wrong way on the one-way CTD Drive and exit at the intersection of Route 2. Vehicle was identified by its Massachusetts registration as a college fleet vehicle. The driver was identified and was sent a citation.

11:44 a.m. A staff member reported that a vehicle parked in the Danforth block parking lot had its rear window smashed out and appeared to have been broken into. WPD and the driver arrived on scene.

8:00 p.m. An officer responded to the north side of Morgan for a complaint of a young man with a rope tied around trees. The student was practicing tight-rope walking.

Wednesday 4-2-08

7:01 a.m. A staff member called dispatch to report a female having a seizure in the Lasell spinning room. Dispatch activated 9-1-1 and officers responded to the scene.

7:15 p.m. Student came in to the Campus Safety and Security (CSS) office to report a strange incident which occurred on 4-1-08 about 8:00p.m.: the student had been approached by a Hispanic male in his early 30s, driving a white car with unknown Massachusetts registration, heading west on Walden Street. The man asked for directions and then said that he couldn’t understand what she was saying and asked if she would get in the car and show him. The student refused and continued walking. The man drove away but stopped and then asked if she wanted money. WPD took a report of this incident. An all-campus notification was sent out. WPD has received other reports of similar incidents following the campus notification.

11:05 p.m. An officer responded to Mission Park concerning potential fire/smoke situation. Residents were preheating the oven to make cookies and realized that several plastic dishes had remained inside the oven and melted.
Thursday 4-3-08

6:30 a.m. While conducting security checks of Dodd and Driscoll dining halls, an officer noticed chalk markings of a cow with the wording “10 billion land animals are killed each year for human consumption” on the west side of each. Mission Park had a different chalked wording: “Join the meat club and together we can double this number by 2009.”

10:36 a.m. An officer investigated a report of a barking dog in front of Paresky.

2:30 p.m. CSS received a report of a theft from Paresky dining facility. Two kegs of root beer and two bottles of merlot were stolen from the cooler during spring break.

Friday 4-4-08

1:18 a.m. Officer responded to the area around Fitch for a complaint about noise and skateboarding.

2:15 p.m. A student called dispatch to report that smoke was coming from the oven on the first floor kitchenette at Mission Park. She was pre-heating the oven but turned it off upon seeing the smoke. Officers responded and 9-1-1 was activated. It was determined the oven needed cleaning. Power to the oven was shut off and the on-call custodian was paged for response.

11:30 p.m. Officers found a large gathering of students, music, two Beirut tables set up and four empty 30-packs of beer on the floor in Spencer house. Responsible residents were identified and given 30 minutes to shut it down and clean up before officers return.

Saturday 4-5-08

1:31 a.m. Officers responded to Armstrong for a possible illegal party. Upon arriving, officers found in the common room tables and other furniture overturned, empty beer cans strewn over the entire floor, eight empty 30-packs of beer and hard alcohol.

11:15 p.m. Dispatch received a call that someone was knocking out the sidewalk lights along the drive to Tyler and Tyler Annex. Officers arrived very quickly and saw a group of students in the area of two broken lights at the bottom of the drive. These students, who were defensive and uncooperative, were identified. Officers checked Tyler House and found that a large illegal party had taken place; although no students were present, there were many empty beer cans and bottles of hard alcohol. Eleven lights on the Tyler walkway were damaged.

Sunday 4-6-08

12:00 a.m. A concert/party at Currier ballroom exceeded capacity and had to be shut down. The student hosts tried their best to assist CSS but the crowd was uncooperative and remained in the stairwell and tried to enter through various doors.

1:17 a.m. Officers went to Williams Hall for a report of a student needing medical assistance. 9-1-1 was activated, and the highly intoxicated student was transported to NARH.

1:30 a.m. An officer responded to a call about an intoxicated student in Gladden. Village Ambulance was already en route, dispatched via WPD, and the student was taken to NARH.

8:00 p.m. Two students reported that at various times, late at night, two non-College, middle-aged Caucasian males of average height are in the Newman Room. One has been identified as a local person and the other’s identity remains unknown at this time.

11:21p.m. WPD responded to a call about marijuana use in Gladden. Both students will be summoned to court and will face College sanctions. A glass bong was confiscated by WPD.