Purple Pub to re-open doors by fall 2008

The Purple Pub will return to Spring Street at the end of the summer behind the George Hopkins building, according to the Pub’s owner, Mary Michel. While hoping to bring “a lot of the old pub into the new pub,” she is excited about the Pub’s new location, noting that it will “look out onto Spring Street for the first time.”

Michel has long sought to reopen the Pub. Last year, she was hoping to relocate it to a temporary location for Commencement. This past September, the Record reported that she planned re-open the pub “within a few months” and that she had already received a license to do so.

Though the Pub’s plans had been approved, later, changes in the building plan forced Michel to re-apply for a license, which she described as a “big process.”

The new pub was originally going to have two floors but will now have only one, as the upper floor of the new building will house offices instead.

According to Michel, the Centre Building will be torn down. In a March 27 article, however, the Transcript reported that building owner Mark Paresky has not yet filed for a demolition permit from the town.

When contacted, Williamstown Fire Department Chief Craig Pedercini said that the cause of the fire remains under the investigation of the state fire marshal. He added that he was hoping to wrap up the case as soon as possible. “People in town and in the media have been asking us about the building,” Pedercini said. “They’re looking for closure to this event.”

Throughout the process, Michel described Paresky as being “very helpful.”

“He wants it back as much as I want it back,” she said.

Michel has been working at a small home-based retail business, and also took on a job at Whitmans’ this February, where she hopes to continue working even after the Pub reopens. Out of all the difficulties due to the Pub’s closure, Michel said that the largest is “the time lost with the students,” which contributed to her motivation to work on campus.

Once the Pub reopens, Michel is hoping to regain support in the community. She has remained in touch with her staff, all of whom intend to resume working at the Pub. She also plans to serve dinner at the new Pub.
Though the relocating and rebuilding may have taken longer than expected, Michel said she hopes the saying “when you build it, they will come” will hold true and that the Pub will once again become an important part of Spring Street.