Men’s lacrosse edges Cardinals

Men’s lacrosse (3-4, 2-4 in the NESCAC) gained a much needed win on Saturday over Wesleyan in Williams’ third victory of the season. The Ephs came from behind, scoring eight second-half goals to defeat the Cardinals with a score 10-7.

Dixon Hargrove ’08 started the Ephs scoring early into the game. Just over seven minutes into the first, Hargrove scored off of a Ryan Powell ’09 assist to give Williams the 1-0 lead. Williams quickly relinquished its lead after three straight goals from Cardinal attackman Grayson Conners. Michael Vrla ’08 responded late in the second quarter to slightly close the gap. At the break Williams trailed Wesleyan, 4-2.

Rich Reuter ’10 jump-started the Ephs in the second half, scoring just over five minutes into the third period. Goals from Brian Morrissey ’09 and Powell followed Reuter’s to give Williams a 6-5 lead.

The Ephs then continued their offensive attack, as rookie David Hawley ’11 and Vrla both scored. With the Ephs at a 9-6 advantage with 12 minutes left in regulation the Cardinals pulled within one. But Corey Jacobs ’11 and Tim White ’09 scored the final two goals of the game to restore Williams’ three-goal lead for good.

Kevin Connolly ’09 made two assists, while goaltender Mike Gerbush ’09 played strongly for the Ephs, tallying eight saves. Three of those stops came in the fourth quarter to help seal the victory for the men.

Last Wednesday, the Ephs battled an undefeated Middlebury team down to the wire. Coming back twice from three-goal deficits, the Ephs could not get the go-ahead goal and ultimately lost the hard-fought game, 7-6.

Hawley recorded two goals in the contest, upping his total to a team-leading 18 on the season. Vrla scored the final goal with just over a minute to play, but there was just not enough time remaining for the Ephs to pull off the victory. Middlebury goaltender Pete Britt made three important saves in the final minutes to protect his team’s lead.
Middlebury took a 3-1 lead after the first quarter but Powell and Reuter responded to tie the game in the middle of the second quarter. The skilled Panthers regained the lead and led, 5-3, at halftime.

Jacobs cut the Panther lead to 6-5 in the beginning of the fourth quarter, but Middlebury countered for a final time off a goal from Matt Ferrer. Vrla’s late goal brought the deficit back to one, but ultimately the Panther’s held off the Ephs. Gerbush recorded 11 saves in the game to keep Williams in contention throughout the contest.
On March 29, Williams had an impressive 12-7 win over Bates. Hawley, who had four goals in the victory, and Tommy Murray ’11, with two goals and three assists, stood out in the contest. Jacobs also played strongly, winning 15-of-22 face-offs.

Over spring break, the men took on Conn. College and Tufts. Williams lost 7-6 to Conn. College. The Ephs had a 6-2 lead in the second half but were stunned by the Camels five straight goals to steal the victory. Tufts also defeated the men, 7-4.

Williams played Skidmore last night but the results came in too late to be included in this issue. The men will next play at Amherst on Saturday.