Ephs stay in third in Directors’ Cup

In its quest for its 10th straight U.S. Sports Academy Directors’ Cup, the College currently ranks third with 615.25 points, trailing second-place Amherst by 31.75 points and top-ranked Washington University in St. Louis by 78.25 points.

Retaining its third-place rank from the fall, the Ephs’ solid winter showing is largely due to both swim teams and women’s track and field, which placed fifth and ninth respectively at NCAAs, together earning the College 218.25 points. Men’s track and field placed 33rd, reaping 40 points, and men’s wrestling placed 47th for 25 points. The alpine and nordic skiers finished 14th and scored 48 points.

Traditionally, the College has dominated the Div. III Directors’ Cup, having won it 11 of the 12 times the Cup has been awarded, including the last nine consecutive years. Nevertheless, Dick Quinn, director of Sports Information, seems unconcerned with the current standings, which he sees as “an opportunity to pull off a great comeback. There are no guarantees in sports,” he said. “You have to prove it.”

Asked about the spring teams, Quinn noted that it is difficult to predict which teams could restore the College’s first place as the season has only just begun. “We’ll just have to see what teams can advance to the NCAA championships, and those are a long way off at this point,” Quinn said.

Harry Sheehy, director of athletics, agreed, but added that “both tennis teams have performed well thus far.” Women’s tennis ended spring break with a 6-1 record, and the men have been crushing even nationally ranked opponents to earn themselves a 9-1 season to date.

As for other sports, baseball has a 13-7 record. Men’s crew also looked strong at the Clemson Sprints, winning several events against Div. I schools. Defending national champion women’s crew scored two silvers and a bronze at the Murphy Cup and picked up more victories this weekend. Both men’s and women’s track and field appear to be keeping up the momentum from last season, with solid finishes at their latest Richmond meet.

While the spring teams seem well-equipped to face their competition in the coming months, Sheehy cautions that predictions can only go so far. “That’s why we play the games – to see what the outcome will be,” he said.