Men’s track takes small squads to ECACs

Men’s track, despite fielding a small squad of only three individuals and a relay team, managed a 12th place finish against Div. III competition at the ECAC championships at Harvard last weekend. The meet marked the final race of the season before the NCAA championships next weekend.

The Williams competitors at the meet were an evenly split sample of the team – a sprinter, a distance runner, a shot putter and a relay squad.

Andrew Arons ’08 represented the Ephs in both the 55 and the 400. He failed to qualify for the finals in the 55, placing ninth in the preliminaries with a time of 6.58 seconds.
However, he fared better in the 400 when he took second place in 49.44 seconds, scoring almost half of the Ephs’ team points with his finish.

On the distance end of the running spectrum, Morgan Seybert ’08 took sixth place in the 3000. Seybert maintained his 3k consistency, running 8:46.29, and added three more points to Williams’ score.

In the shot put, Andrew DeSalvo ’08 threw 14.78 meters to place fifth. His throw was short of his season-best 15.41 meters, which he tossed at the Div. III New England championships, but was nonetheless a solid performance from of the senior.

Williams’ squad completed the eight-lap combo in the 1600 relay in 3:23.25. The time was good enough to earn fourth place in the competition, as well as the final five points of Williams’ score.

Williams finished the meet with twenty points, which was good enough for 12th place. St. Lawrence took first with a team total of 69 points.

Next week Williams will travel to Ohio Northern University to take on the best Div. III competition in the country at the NCAA championships.

“We might not treat this as much of a team championship but it’s nice to beat almost 50 full teams only bringing 6 guys, and it never hurts to get more championship racing experience that will help us down the road,” Seybert said.

Head Coach Pete Farwell was overall pleased with the ECAC results. “We had a small contingent on the men’s side but all scored, which is quite an accomplishment in the field of teams from all over the eastern seaboard and adjoining states from Virginia north,” he said.