Women’s track finishes 11th

Women’s track and field raced against the best competition in New England last weekend, finishing in 11th place at the All New England Indoor Track and Field Championships. At the Boston University track the Ephs collected 23 hard-earned points over two days of competition, with four women scoring individual points and the relay teams bringing in nine more for the squad.

In Saturday’s finals, co-captain Carrie Plitt ’08 nabbed a solid seventh-place finish in the 400, crossing the line in a NCAA provisional qualifying time of 57.65. Sara Wild ’11 and Ariel Williams ’10 weren’t fazed by the tough competition, as they delivered solid third and fourth-place finishes, respectively, in the 800. Later in the day Laura Walls ’08 placed eighth in the mile, bringing the Ephs’ total point tally to a total of 14 heading into the relays.

The championship atmosphere at BU fired up Williams’ relay squads, as the Ephs continued to assert their dominance in the 4×400, 4×800 and the distance medley relay (DMR). The DMR, comprised of Bret Scofield ’10, Plitt, Walls and Olga Kondratjeva ’10, provisionally qualified for NCAAs with a fourth place finish of 11:51.91. The 4×800 team of Heather Bemis ’09, Nora Mitchell ’10, Cathy Nyholm ’11 and Ceci Davis-Hayes ’11 exceeded expectations, finishing in fifth place in a time of 9:24.

The 4×400 team just missed scoring with a ninth place finish, but the hard work of Plitt, Veronica Ivey ’08, Emily Heaslip ’10 and Wild earned the team a provisional qualifying time.
Head Coach Pete Farwell praised the performances of the relay teams. “We’re proud of all these athletes who put together their hard training and competitive talents with great teamwork and spirit,” he said. Farwell also noted that the team “had many more personal breakthroughs that didn’t show up in the scoring but bode well for our outdoor season.”
Many Ephs had standout performances at BU, with Shawna McArdle ’10 shaving .3 seconds off of her personal best in the 200, and Heaslip crossing the finish line in the 400 trials in a season’s best time of 58.52. Sprinter Elise Johnson ’10 had another great 55 hurdle performance.

A trio of mid-distance first-years competed well for the team, with Davis-Hayes finishing the mile in a time of 5:11, Nyholm breaking 1:20 in the 500 and Meghan Shea ’11 completing the 1000 in 3:05.11.

As some members of the squad are beginning to prepare for the upcoming outdoor season, a few of the team’s top performers will continue to compete indoors.
The women will look to sneak in a few more national qualifiers at the ECACs at Harvard next weekend and then head off to nationals, held at Ohio Northern, on March 14.