Three Ephs find big sucess at women’s squash individuals

Three members of the women’s squash team traveled to Annapolis, Md. last weekend for the CSA national tournament, pitting themselves against opponents from the top squash schools in the country, including Trinity, Princeton, Mt. Holyoke and Conn. College. Co-captain Ashley Eyre ’08 and Toby Eyre ’10 played in the top draw, the Ramsay Division, while co-captain Catie Warner ’08 competed in the Holleran Cup.

Toby Eyre earned first team All-American honors for securing a spot in the quarterfinals of the Ramsay Cup draw. Impressively defeating Trinity’s No. 2 player, Ashley Clackson, in four games, Toby Eyre entered the top eight of the tournament. However, Lauren Polonich avenged her teammate’s loss by topping Toby Eyre in five hard-fought games.
Head Coach Zafi Levy was impressed with the talent and competitive drive Toby Eyre showed at individuals and has great hopes for her potential next year. “Toby could have gone all the way and won the tournament but she just run out of legs in her quarter final match,” Levy said. “Toby could win [a] national [championship] next year.”

For Ashley Eyre, the first round consisted of a difficult five-game loss against Tehani Guruge of Trinity. Guruge dominated the first two games, but Ashley Eyre recovered in the following game with solid play. However, Eyre couldn’t hold on in the final game and the match culminated in a win for Guruge. A bye from Amanda Sieburt of Princeton allowed Ashley Eyre to enter into the first round of the consolation, but former teammate Casey Riley – also of Princeton – defeated her in five. The meet marked the end of Ashley Eyre’s college career, leaving her with a ranking in the top 24.

“Although it would have been nice to win one of the matches, the girls [I played] were better players,” Ashley Eyre said. “I felt satisfied with the way I played and performed up to my expectations. Overall, individuals was a great experience down at Navy and perfect end to my collegiate squash career.”

Warner reached the quarterfinals in the women’s B-draw. Her first round consisted of a bye, and then Warner vanquished Conn. College opponent Ryan McManus in three games. Warner followed up this win with a strong five-game victory over Menusha Heitarrachi from Mt. Holyoke, attaining a quarterfinals spot in the main draw. Another five-game match turned the tables, however, and Caroline Reigeluth defeated the Eph, ending her season. Warner’s college career ended with a spot in the top 40 collegiate squash players.

Levy expressed pride in the seniors’ final collegiate performances. “Ashley and Catie played fantastic, it was a great way for them to finish their squash careers,” he said.