Paresky late-night hours reinstated

In response to student dissatisfaction with reduced operating hours, the Paresky Center is again open 24 hours, Sunday through Thursday evenings. While the building will still be locked between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. throughout the week, students will have swipe-in card access to Paresky on these nights.

The new hours took effect on Sunday evening. Doug Schiazza, director of Campus Life, said that he did not foresee any end to these new hours, apart from College vacations.
Nonetheless, this 24/5 setup is an interim scheme: a committee comprising administrators and students is expected to determine a permanent schedule for Paresky following an in-depth evaluation of energy consumption and demand for spaces in Paresky. “In the long term, Paresky hours will depend on usage statistics,” Schiazza said.

The committee will be headed by Stephanie Boyd, acting director of the Zilkha Center for Environmental Initiatives. Also on the table is the possibility of a comprehensive assessment of late-night locations across campus. The College is in the process of obtaining real-time metering data for individual buildings to this end.

To offset the additional energy consumption from staying open all-hours, light and heat in the building are now turned down earlier in the evening than previously. “I was here till about 2 a.m. on Sunday, and didn’t notice any changes,” said Jared Currier ’09. “A couple degrees isn’t a big difference at all.” He added that there were still several people in the Paresky reading room when he left.

This latest change ended two months of the 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. operating hours implemented by Paresky operations advisory group after counts by Security revealed low student traffic in the late-night hours.