Men’s track places 14th in Div. I NE’s

On Friday and Saturday, men’s track and field took a select squad of competitors to the 40th annual Div. I New England Regional Track and Field Championships, where the team placed 14th out of 31 teams. This meet, one of the final and most competitive of the indoor season, featured top athletes from all NCAA divisions.

The highlight of the meet came on Friday night when the Eph quartet of Mack Brickley ’08, Andrew Arons ’08, Edgar Kosgey ’10 and Macklin Chaffee ’09 won the Distance Medley Relay (DMR) in a school-record time of 9:53.57, beating the old record of 9:56 set last season. The winning time for the Ephs was also an automatic NCAA Div. III championships qualifying time. All four of the Ephs were on fire as Brickley ran the 1200 leg in 3:03, Arons contributed a 49 second 400, Kosgey added a 1:52 800 and Chaffee clocked in at 4:07 in the 1600, to bring home the title and the school record.

Friday was also a highly successful day for many of the Ephs in the preliminary qualifying races. Williams advanced a number of competitors who faced top competition on Saturday. Arons came back from running the DMR Friday night to continue his single-lap domination, as he took third place in the 200 in a time of 21.74. Fellow sprinter Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 continued to hover around the 50-second range as he placed ninth in the finals of the 400, crossing the line in 50.14.

Long-distance runners Morgan Seybert ’08 and Jeff Perlis ’10 ran solid races in the 3000. Seybert (12th), dropping down in distance from the 5000 at last week’s Div. III New England championships, came through with a time of 8:45.06. Perlis, who placed in 20th, continued his progress after recuperating from last summer’s stress fracture, and ran 8:49.82 for the 15-lap race.

Brooks Udelsman ’09 had a breakthrough race in the 1000, as he dropped nearly four seconds from his season-best time. Udelsman tore around the track five times and finished in 2:31.83, which was good for ninth place.

Next week, some members of the team will race at the ECAC championships at Harvard, while those who have qualified for the NCAA championships will begin their final phase of training before nationals in two weeks.