Women’s track places 2nd at New England’s

Women’s track and field finished just seven and a half points short of their sixth consecutive Div. III New England indoor championship last weekend, placing second behind NESCAC rival Tufts. The Ephs entered the meet knowing that it would be a tough contest, and they then traded first-place finishes with the Jumbos throughout the day.

Co-captain Carrie Plitt ’08 set the tone early for the Ephs, capturing first place in both the 200 and the 400. She then sprinted to a second-place finish in the 55 and by mid-afternoon had contributed 28 individual points to the Ephs’ tally. Shawna McArdle ’10 and Elise Johnson ’10 demonstrated the impressive depth of the sprint squad, finishing the 200 in fifth and ninth places, respectively. Emily Heaslip ’10 brought in an additional three points for the team with her sixth place finish in the 400.

Later in the afternoon the Ephs received a much-needed boost from rookie Sara Wild ’11, who shocked the crowd with an impressive first-place finish in the 600. She crossed the line in 1:37.10, over two seconds before the second place finisher. This impressive performance inspired a purple and gold rally, as the rest of the mid-distance crew continued to bring in crucial points. Ariel Williams ’10 and co-captain Lissy Robie ’08 snatched third and fourth place finishes in the 800, while Olga Kondratjeva ’10 and Nora Mitchell ’10 hustled to third and sixth place in the 1000.

The distance runners also performed well for the Ephs. Bret Schofield ’10, who finished in fifth place, and Tina Meade ’11, seventh place, worked together to capture six much-needed points in the 3k. Lauren Philbrook ’09 and Natalia Rey de Castro ’09 battled the competition in the 5k to place in fifth and seventh, respectively, with Philbrook breaking the 18:00 barrier.

The most exciting races of the meet came late on Saturday afternoon, as the women’s relay teams destroyed the competition and brought in 33 points for the squad. Demonstrating terrific teamwork and competitive spirit, the Ephs captured fifth in the distance medley, second in the 4×200 and first in both the 4×400 and 4×800 races. The 4×800 team set a new school record, crossing the line in 9:20.36.

The women will head to the All New England Championships at Tufts this weekend.